× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 104 - upgrade to 6.5.1

asdf47
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 104 - upgrade to 6.5.1

Hello communitiy,

currently I have running a model RN10400 NAS with 4x4 TB HDD (RAID5) on firmware 6.2.2 without problems *sigh*.

After having daily lockups with at least firmware 6.1.9 (don't remember which version I had before 6.1.9) and reading about all the problems people had with the versions between then and now I didn't feel ready to try any new upgrades.

Just yesterday my NAS locked up again after several months of smooth operation, so here I am, finally feeling ready to take the journey getting my NAS upgraded to current version (6.5.1 as of today).

So my question now is: how do I get from 6.2.2 to 6.5.1?

If my understanding is right policy allows to go directly from 6.2.2 to 6.5.1, without any step inbetween (like 6.4.1 etc). Maybe there is a recommendation to install a certain version before 6.5.1?

Sidenote: I don't care about the data on the nas, it's no problem if data is lost during upgrade ( backups FTW Smiley Very Happy ). I'd even like to make a 'clean start', wiping all data, settings, etc, in the process...

I also read about things like rebalance, defragmentation etc. ... e.g. in this thread: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Einsatz-von-ReadyNAS/RN104-IO-Probleme-ab-70-F%C3%BCllstand-keine-R...

So my 'fight plan' would look something like this:

- upgrade FW to 6.5.1 (directly?)

- factory reset, factory default (is there a difference, and if, how do I do each of this?)

- configure rebalance, defragmentation (where and how?)

- configure any other important tasks (are there any?)

- copy my data from backups

Another thought of me, maybe it is silly but I have to ask: Would it be possible to just wipe my HDDs in my PC and put them back into the NAS to get rid of, like everything? Would this break something on my NAS? Would there still be stuff (configs?) on my NAS chassis?

Sorry for all the questions but I'd like to make my NAS as 'future-proof' as possible (FW and config) 😉 .

Thank you for any ideas on this matter!

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 104 - upgrade to 6.5.1

Upgrade to 6.2.5 first, then go from there to 6.5.1.

If you want to do a factory reset after that, then you'd

-back up any important data

-upgrade to 6.2.5

-upgrade again to 6.5.1

-do a factory reset (which destroys data and configuration)

-reconfigure the NAS

-reload any apps

-restore data from backup

Then you can circle back and set up a schedule for volume maintenance (defrag, scrub, balance, disk test).

Message 2 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 104 - upgrade to 6.5.1

After upgrading to 6.2.5 you will need to follow the steps in this article: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29974/~/readynas-os-6%3A-rn100%2Frn2120-cannot-update-...

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements