× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 104 upgraded to OS 6.4.0 shutdown hang

grahamu59
Tutor

Now on beta 6.4.1 and the issue is the same - default MTU shutsdown OK, custom MTU hangs at shutdown.

Message 51 of 75
gw_rocks
Tutor

I have not tried the Beta firmware.

I would only install new firmware if it gave me the option of downgrading to firmware V6.2.5 or know that it resolves the issues. As stated previously mine seemed to be stable for a while, then randomly, one night was unable to shut down with power button. Had to pull out power.

Grant.

Message 52 of 75
Jophus
Luminary

I have received the following message from Netgear Support regarding 6.4.0, 6.4.1 beta, jumbo frames and shutdown hang:

Hello,

I am sorry, now I have no this guidance when this issue be fixed, I will give you update after I received feedback, thanks.

Regards,
QH

Customer 11/6/2015 10:45:00 AM

Can you please provide some guidance as to when an MTU of 9000 will be addressed as part of an update release? If this known issue has been captured and scheduled, please provide that guidance. We can then look to close this support case and refer to the bug/issue log.

NETGEAR Support 11/6/2015 8:33:00 AM

Notes added by 34004
Hello,

Yes, this issue did not fixed by 6.4.1 beta release.

I tested this issue in my lab this week, when the MTU is 5000, 7000, it was OK, no problem, but if it is 8000, it will not work, and I have tested, Spin down did not involved this issue.

Regards,
QH

[T010]

Customer 11/6/2015 8:29:00 AM

Work around isn't a solution. When will the fix be in beta? 6.4.1 beta doesn't have this fix listed in the change log.

NETGEAR Support 11/6/2015 8:27:00 AM

Notes added by 34004
Hello, Sir

This is qinghong from netgear again.

For your readynas issue, since we have workaround solution, and now it was working, can we close this case? thanks.

Regards,
QH

[T005]

NETGEAR Support 11/2/2015 6:49:00 AM

Notes added by 34004
Hello,

I tested this issue in my lab about only enable "spin down" function, and this setting will not cause "NAS cannot be shutdown via Dashboard".

If you have any questions, please let me know, thanks.

Regards,
QH

[T015]

NETGEAR Support 10/30/2015 2:33:00 PM

OK, I will test this issue next week, and update you, thanks.

Regards,
QH

[T005]

Customer 10/30/2015 10:33:00 AM

Can you also check the disk spin down enabled setting? Other forum members have noted a spun down disk also causes the error.

Thanks

NETGEAR Support 10/30/2015 7:11:00 AM

Notes added by 34004
Hello, Sir

This is QH from Netgear level 3 engineer, this case was assigned to me.
According to my Experience, and I checked NAS logs, there are some kernel error, so I guess this issue was caused by MTU 9000.
I have reproduce this issue in my lab.

I will escalate this issue to R&D engineer, this need a bit long time to fix this issue, so please disable this function, and I will give you update when I received any feedback, thanks.

Regards,
QH

Message 53 of 75
grahamu59
Tutor

Can confirm beta 3 fixes the no shoutown with custom MTU issue.

Message 54 of 75
Jophus
Luminary

Thanks grahamu59. Can you please tell me what version number you are presented with when logging into OS6 admin page after installing the 6.4.1 beta?

I installed beta 3 this afternoon but I see version as 6.4.0 on my rn102.

Thanks
Message 55 of 75
StephenB
Guru

@Jophus wrote:

I installed beta 3 this afternoon but I see version as 6.4.0 on my rn102.

Thanks

FWIW, I see 6.4.1-T35 on the splash screen on my RN102 (as well as on the home page).  Maybe clear your browser cache?

Message 56 of 75
grahamu59
Tutor

6.4.1 T35

Message 57 of 75
Jophus
Luminary

Thanks. No, I had the same problem upgrading 6.2.5 to 6.4.0 where it would not upgrade until I hard factory reset the box using a paperclip.

I will try a hard reset and see if that works. I had no problem upgrading 6.1.9 to 6.2.4 and then 6.2.5... But 6.4.0 has presented problems.
Message 58 of 75
Jophus
Luminary

An update: An update to 6.4.1. beta 3 won't work on my rn102. Back with Netgear support to investigate the problem.   Looks like I have the "mismatched checksum" issue with upgrading 6.4.0 to 6.4.1 beta 3.  This is the same issue I had with 6.2.5 to 6.4.0 upgrade.

The issue manifests where the uploaded, update image file checksum does not match the expected checksum.  On a reboot, the system tries to flash the image, notices the checksum of the file does not match what is expected, and promptly does not flash the image update to the system.  The error is silent and does not show in the OS6 log file. The admin webpage silently remains on the previous version.

The previous workaround was to install an "app" which netgear created.  The "app" addressed "the known issue".

To discover if this is an issue, the initrd log file (when you "download logs" from the log page of frontview) shows something like:

[2015/11/16 19:27:49] Update image checksum mismatch (f5c6610f8a13b136600a1481017e7a4e/1b743406f16f4c33e8a121f72da05702)!

Netgear support have "escalated this to R&D"

Message 59 of 75
Jophus
Luminary

Beta 3 installed on my RN102 using a modified workaround from the 6.2.5 -> 6.4.0 update: Installed the Beta 3 update, DID NOT RESTART and installed the workaround update file.  On restarting I was on 6.4.1-T35 (Yay!)

Enabled Jumbo Frames, and restarted = OK

Started copying files to the NAS = slightly slower that MTU 1500 - why?  DMESG and kernel logs show heaps of:

mvneta d0074000.ethernet eth0: bad rx status 0f830000 (overrun error), size=xxx

where xxx is a frame size less than 9000

Anyway, shutdown NAS from OS6 ..... AND..... same problem as before.  The NAS is still on, with blue lights lit, but no response.  Pulling power is the only way to shut it down.

Beta 3 has not solved my MTU 9000 problem.  Back at MTU 1500 the box is CPU limited on transfers but shuts down and wakes-on-LAN.  Back with NG support.

Message 60 of 75
jangoloti
Apprentice

I have had the same issue twice and I still have not changed the MTU value from the original setup of 1500.

Why is supposed it happens only wit big MTU numbers?

Message 61 of 75
Jophus
Luminary

OK. Shutdown hang is now fixed for me in Beta 3.  The box DOES shutdown gracefully with any MTU.  BUT

New problem - Jumbo frames with wake-on-LAN ON leads to an instant, unprompted, unrequested wake-up... 

Confirmed by netgear support as an issue and escalated to engineers/R&D - workaround is to use MTU 1500 with Wake-on-LAN on.  It appears there is limited internal testing on theses betas.  Aren't you supposed to fix bugs and then regression check fixes and changes against existing functionality?

The buffer overrun issue remains and impacts on data transfer performance - either CPU limited at MTU 1500 (with buffer overrun) or increased buffer overruns on MTU 9000 with broken wake-on-LAN - both impact functionality and performance.

We'll wait for the new version.  RC1 released, but doesn't contain fix.

Message 62 of 75
Jophus
Luminary

Support informs me 6.4.1 will not fix jumbo frames, wake-on-lan issue.

Given this thread is around shutdown hang, which IS fixed in 6.4.1 RC3, there is not need for me to post further information on the forum.

I will find or start a thread re: wake-on-lan and jumbo frames causing a RN102 to instantly start, unprompted, when the NAS is shut down.

Message 63 of 75
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry, not a beta tester..  is 6.4.1 RC3 a live release that will be presented in the web/gui page at this time?

Second question I asked earlier (before this was fixed).   I am on ver 6.1.9.  What is the best way for me to update to the most current version which appears to fit the shutdown issue (if you leave things on default).  I am not experiencing any issues right now...but I do realize at some point I need to update or be left in the dust! 🙂

Am I still looking at a 2 step update?  And if so, what do I need to convert to first and what is the process.  If the same as previously posted just let me know that too.

Thanks so much,

BJB

Message 64 of 75
Jophus
Luminary

Hello BJB.  Unsolicited advice - if I had my time again I would have stayed on 6.2.5.  You can go from 6.1.9 to 6.2.5 directly.

I would steer clear of 6.4.x until a .2 or .3 release.

Message 65 of 75
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi BJB & Jophus,

The Official 6.4.1 Firmware is now available. Give us your thoughts and feedback.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 66 of 75
AlexPe
NETGEAR Expert

@BJB wrote:

Sorry, not a beta tester..  is 6.4.1 RC3 a live release that will be presented in the web/gui page at this time?

Second question I asked earlier (before this was fixed).   I am on ver 6.1.9.  What is the best way for me to update to the most current version which appears to fit the shutdown issue (if you leave things on default).  I am not experiencing any issues right now...but I do realize at some point I need to update or be left in the dust! 🙂

Am I still looking at a 2 step update?  And if so, what do I need to convert to first and what is the process.  If the same as previously posted just let me know that too.

Thanks so much,

BJB

Dear BJB,

You should be OK to update to 6.4.1, however, you may encounter an issue that your system may not boot after upgrade. This can be fixed and has a workaround. Please go to our FAQ for questions regarding then 6.4.x update.

Here are some helpful links to review before you update:

ReadyNAS OS 6.4.1 FAQ

ReadyNAS OS 6: Firmware Upgrade Guide and Tips

ReadyNAS 6.4.0 FAQ

Although there have been some systems that have had the booting issue, most systems were able to update successfully without issue. NETGEAR strongly recommends updating to the latest version of the firmware.

AlexPe

Message 67 of 75
Jophus
Luminary

@BrianL2 wrote:

Hi BJB & Jophus,

The Official 6.4.1 Firmware is now available. Give us your thoughts and feedback.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

BrianL - there are known issues - Wake on Lan doesn't work with jumbo frames, causing instant reboot when NAS shutdown on RN102.  This is confirmed by Netgear support.

Why isn't this disclosed for everyone on the release notes?

Message 68 of 75
AlexPe
NETGEAR Expert

@Jophus wrote:

@BrianL2 wrote:

Hi BJB & Jophus,

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

BrianL - there are known issues - Wake on Lan doesn't work with jumbo frames, causing instant reboot when NAS shutdown on RN102.  This is confirmed by Netgear support.

Why isn't this disclosed for everyone on the release notes?

Dear Jophus,

The issue you are having with the firmware update, may have been troubleshot by support but has not been evaluated by engineering, thus it has not been reported in the update against 6.4.1. 

Right now, we are allowing for the support process to take place, as I stated in my PM to you earlier. 

Thank you for your patience with us,

AlexPe.

Message 69 of 75
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for all of those links.  It does help tie things together.  One thing I neglected to mention is that I have an RN104.  So at least one of the reported issues does not apply to me.

I saw this in the FAQ:

Beta firmware that fixes some of these issues 6.4.1-T: 6.4.1-T35(RC3)

So when you say 6.4.1 is available is it the public release version or a beta still? I wish it said it fixed all of the issues 🙂

Regardless of when I upgrade to 6.4.X, it sounds like I need to go to 6.2.5 first.  I see the link to the download  file in the FAQ.  But what is not clear to me is if I do not run any of the add-on front ends, I just use the browser GUI, how do I execute the upgrade?  Just extract and click or do I need to put it on a USB stick.  I searched for KB on it but a few talked about frontview and other stuff I don't run. 

I did not see any issues reported going to 6.2.5 so that should be fairly ineventful, correct?

Last question.  There is a lot in there on maintenance.  I have never touched the default schedule.  Is all of this stuff running for me or do I need to run it manually to be safe before the upgrade?

Thanks again to all for the help and advice.

BJB

Message 70 of 75
StephenB
Guru

@BJB wrote:

So when you say 6.4.1 is available is it the public release version or a beta still?

6.4.1 is released.  The next beta will have a different number.

@BJB wrote:

Regardless of when I upgrade to 6.4.X, it sounds like I need to go to 6.2.5 first.  ... I just use the browser GUI, how do I execute the upgrade?  Just extract and click or do I need to put it on a USB stick.  I searched for KB on it but a few talked about frontview and other stuff I don't run. 

I did not see any issues reported going to 6.2.5 so that should be fairly ineventful, correct? 

You do need to install 6.2.5.  Download the zip from here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29498/~/readynas-os-version-6.2.5-(rn102-%26-rn104-onl...

Then extract the img file. 

From the gui, select system->settings - you'll see a manual install button.  Click it, select the 6.2.5 image, and proceed from there.

The 6.2.5 upgrade was pretty easy for most users.  But I always suggest updating your backup before you upgrade.  (And I always recommend having a backup plan in place for your NAS too).

@BJB wrote:

Last question.  There is a lot in there on maintenance.  I have never touched the default schedule.  Is all of this stuff running for me or do I need to run it manually to be safe before the upgrade?

The maintenance schedule is empty by default.  So nothing is running.

It would be wise to run a scrub, defrag, balance, and volume scan in 6.2.5 before upgrading to 6.4.x.  It will a few days to run them all.  They run faster if disk spindown is disabled (and it is disabled by default).

Message 71 of 75
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

StephenB,

Thanks for the that very complete and spot-on response!  Once my new PC build settles down I will tackle my NAS upgrade!

BJB

Message 72 of 75
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi BrianL,

since I updated to 6.4.1 everything runs as it should.

Before the situation got worse: 

At first shutdown via ssh login worked sometimes and shutdown vie power button always worked.

At the end every method resulted in a blinking power button and an absolutely non responding ReadyNAS 104 where only pulling the plug could helped.

Now everythiong is fine sheduled shutdown works with and without activated spindown of disks. I never changed the MTU.

Thanks for the help

Message 73 of 75
gw_rocks
Tutor

Hi.

6.4.1 seems to be ok for me as well. I turned on NAS manually during the day and it successfully shutdown at 11pm with my scheduled shutdown time. Before that it hung shutting down. So far so good.......

Grant.

Message 74 of 75
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi werwolf & gw_rocks,

It appears that the new Firmware resolved most of the issues experienced in 6.4.0. Also a big thanks for the positive feedback 🙂

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 75 of 75
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements