× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 104 upgraded to OS 6.4.0 shutdown hang

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Same problem here with 6.4.0. I hope Netgear developers are speeding up with a fix cause this sucks!!

Message 26 of 75
gw_rocks
Tutor

Hi Everyone, another update from me.

If I power on with the physical power button, I can power off with the physical power button.

If I schedule power on, it seem to power off at the scheduled time.

If I power on using the power button, the schedule power off hangs.

If I schedule power on I cant power off with the physical power button.

Seem like any overlap of the physical power on off and scheduled power on off causes me issues.?????

Grant.

I will try to send some logs through tonight.

Message 27 of 75
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi grahamu59, h3nk3 & gw_rocks,

We could further check your device problems by sending the latest copy of your device logs and we suggest that you contact our support team to raise a ticket for the issues that you encountered after the update.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 28 of 75
Jophus
Luminary

I have this same issue on my RN102.  Mine started after I changed the network MTU from default 1500 to 9000 (jumbo frames).

Shutdown by schedule and gui worked under 6.2.5 - doesn't work on 6.4.0.  A restart via the GUI works fine but a shutdown hangs the box with the power light flashing - like it is shutting down - same with shutdown by schedule.

I am in the midst of "level 2 support" with Netgear and will provide details as they come about.

Message 29 of 75
grahamu59
Tutor

Just sent my logs...

Hope we all have a fix soon.

Message 30 of 75
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi BrianL,

I am back home again and did sent my logfiles to you on your behalf

werwolf

Message 31 of 75
Jophus
Luminary

I am still plugging through level 2/3 support at Netgear.  Being in Australia severely limits the speed of resolution as support comes online at 2pm my time, i get home at 6pm and have 3 hours to engaged with my family and mess with emails...

ANYWAY... My RN102 configuration included:

Auto startup ENABLED at 12am Sunday morning and Shutdown 1am Sunday morning - 6 scheduled backup tasks starting at 12:05am on a Sunday morning (they run and the box shuts down when all 6 completed)

Disk spin-down after 5 minutes of inactivity ENABLED

Jumbo Frames MTU 9000 (which worked fine on my network under 6.2.5) ENABLED

Shutting down with this configuration (among other settings) caused the power light to flash slowly, email confirmation from my NAS that "NAS is shutting down" but the NAS would stay powered on with the slow-flashing power LED.  It would not power off.  The only thing to do was unplug the power cable from the back and re-plug it in.

I disabled all 3 of the settings listed above (Auto startup/shutdown schedule, Disk spin-down and MTU Jumbo Frames back to 1500) and I successfully shutdown and Woke-on-LAN.

Changing MTU back to 9000 reinstated to the "shutdown but not shut-down issue"

I reverted to MTU of 1500 and I could once again shutdown/wake-on-LAN.

In summary - it appears the below works for me:

MTU 1500

Disk spindown DISABLED

Schedule Startup/shutdown ENABLED

MTU of 9000 (Jumbo frames) causes the issue for my setup (6.2.5 did not have this issue).  Given the box is powered-on for 1 hour (or a bit more) per week, I am fine with disk spindown DISABLED.... I wouldn't be so happy if this was a production box.

I have turned on the Sunday schedule again but left spindown DISABLED.  I can tell you all on Sunday morning if this works.

In conclusion, what worked fine under 6.2.5 is screwed under 6.4.0.  I will continue to work with level 2/3 Netgear support to provide them with anything meaningful to assist them to produce a 6.4.1 patch.

From now on, I will be running my NASes using older firmware and ignoring the prompt to update to a newer version (especially a major 6.X.0 version).

Hope this adds to, and helps, the conversation.

Message 32 of 75
ColinR1
Aspirant

There seem to be a number of threads on this issue.

I've exactly the same problem (RN102) but I DON'T have jumbo frames enabled - my MTU is 1500, so that may not be making any difference to the shutdown issue.

My setup is fairly simple - power timer was enabled but I've disabled it for now.  I do have a "remote" UPS configured (IP address monitoring of an older RN Duo that is physically connected to my UPS) but nothing else out of the ordinary I don't think

Message 33 of 75
Jophus
Luminary

Notes from Netgear level 3 support below... I asked that spun down disks also be tested to see if they cause an issue, which they confirmed will be tested next week.........

Notes added by 34004
Hello, Sir

This is QingHong from Netgear level 3 engineer, this case was assigned to me.
According to my Experience, and I checked NAS logs, there are some kernel error, so I guess this issue was caused by MTU 9000.
I have reproduce this issue in my lab.

I will escalate this issue to R&D engineer, this need a bit long time to fix this issue, so please disable this function, and I will give you update when I received any feedback, thanks.

Regards,
QH

[T060]

Message 34 of 75
grahamu59
Tutor

MTU was the solution for me. Changed it to default & shutdown correctly last night. No other changes required.

Message 35 of 75
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello all,

You guys might want to try the BETA FW 6.4.1-T21.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta-Release/ReadyNASOS-6-4-1-T21-Beta-1/m-p/999457#U99945...

Regards,

Message 36 of 75
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an RN104 and am running firmware 6.1.9 (I know, it is old but it works solidly).

Anyway, was going to upgrade and noticed this shutdown hang thread on the most recent firmware.  I run the basic GUI front end, no command line settings.

Is there any setting on the regular Readynas browser GUI I should check to regarding MTU or anything like that before I upgrade my firmware?  Has it been confirmed that is what causes this issue?

I know various firmware upgrades can cause issues but this is rather major as I don't keep my NAS up 24/7.

I guess further (and perhaps this should be a new post), since I am jumping so many firmware versions is that an issue?

The thought of OS re-installs, etc. don't thrill me.  I'll take risks with my phone or beta PC software but not my backup NAS. Do the veteran upgraders here suggest I wait a while for a new 6.4.X version?

Thanks for any suggestions,
BJB

Message 37 of 75
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi BJB,

You can check the MTU settings of your ReadyNAS NIC under the Network tab. With regard to the issues that were reported in the community, most of them are different and they are being addressed now (with the release of the Beta Firmware). I recommend that you give it a try in updating the Firmware of your ReadyNAS and ensure that the unit is running either 6.2.4 or 6.2.5 versions.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 38 of 75
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Brian L,

Thanks, but I am a little confused. I have no problem checking the network settings.  Got that.

But then you say to make sure that I am running firmware 6.2.4 or 6.2.5?  Do you mean before I update to 6.4.x?  I stated in my post that I am running 6.1.9. So,,,,,,,are you saying I need to do an interim update before I update to a 6.4. version? If so, where do I go to download an interim version like that and what are the install instructions?  Of course when I logon to the drive, all that is offered is the most recent firmware.

Also, you say that the beta softare fixes some of the reported issues but yet you still say I should try to upgrade.  If I want to be safe, would it not be better to wait until the beta software goes into release?

Thanks,

BJB

Message 39 of 75
Jophus
Luminary

I would stay on 6.2.5 if I had my time again
Message 40 of 75
ColinR1
Aspirant

BJB, why on earth would you even think about "upgrading" to a firmware release you know doesn't work?

I'd steer well clear if I were you.

That Beta 1 release doesn't seem to mention shutdown issues, so I'll hold fire I think, especially given words like "hopefully" are used in the list of fixes.

Message 41 of 75
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

ColinR1,

Exactly.  This is why I was clarifying the directions I was being given. Did not make sense to me to upgrade to firmware that has issues unless there is a known trigger for the issues that can be avoided 100%.

Jophus, you mentioned you would have stayed on 6.2.5.....The other question is let's say I wait until the 6.4.X firmware has fixed this issue......Do I understand the suggestion correctly that I should go to an interim version first since I am way back on 6.1.9? Or can I just forge ahead?  If I do need an interim version, I just need a link on the process of how to obtain it and install it.

Not used to being out of the loop. On the PC side I can give the advice....I am just not up to speed on the the Readynas firmware stuff...Smiley Happy

Thanks,

BJB

Message 42 of 75
Jophus
Luminary

If 6.1.9 works for you, with no bugs, issues or complaints, I would recommend you stick with it.

If 6.2.x has features or fixes you need, go to the latest version of 6.2.5.

6.4.0 has issues and bugs. Wait for 6.4.2 or .3

I will be following this rationale from now... But I can't downgrade to 6.2.5
Message 43 of 75
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi BJB,

To be clear with the update procedure, the unit must be running 6.2.4 or 6.2.5 before you update to 6.4.0. The issues reported in the community are specific to some units and not all have experienced the same. If in case you run into them, I recommend you use the beta firmware that resolves the said problems.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 44 of 75
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Jophus, I am going to follow that logic.  Wait for a further version.  I have no issues.

BrianL or Jophus, for when I do decide to upgrade, so I do not have to go through this again, can you please share with me exactly how to upgrade to a firmware version that is other than the most recent version?   So lets say the latest version is 6.4.3....will I still need to be running 6.2.4 or 6.2.5 upgrade to that or is that just a requirement with this early 6.4 version? And if so, exactly HOW do I just upgrade to that interim version?  Is there a direct link and do you just run it as an EXE in windows?  Just point me to the FAQ and instructions and best practices to do it. I will figure it out. 

Thanks,
BJB

Message 45 of 75
gw_rocks
Tutor

An update from me.

My system has been working ok for a quite a few days now after I turned off spin-down power option. I removed and then readded my Power Timer times. My MTU was always 1500. I never changed that.

Grant.

Message 46 of 75
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi BJB,

The firmware that your unit should be on needs to be downloaded from our support site manually. Here's the link for 6.2.4 and here's the link for 6.2.5. Once the unit is loaded with either firmware, you may now update to the latest Firmware available which is 6.4.0.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 47 of 75
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi gw_rocks,

Thanks for the updating this thread and continue to monitor the behavior of your ReadyNAS. I would like to know if you have tried the latest Beta Firmware (6.4.1-T21)?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 48 of 75
grahamu59
Tutor

Since defaulting myMTU no issues have arisen. Scheduled stop / start work. Not tried the beta firmware.

Message 49 of 75
Jophus
Luminary

I posted an idea to the "Ideas Forum" to change the way updated are notified and installed on ReadyNAS units.  It would be great if you could up-vote the idea so improvements can be made.

Link here.

Message 50 of 75
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements