× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 104 will not shutdown

Martok867
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 104 will not shutdown

ReadsyNAS 104
4 x 2TB
Unit will not shutdown or reboot even if I leave it for 12 hours.
I have to pull the plug and restart it this way - not a good option.

Any ideas?
No apps running, nothing special as this is just a storage device for streaming videos and the like.
No streaming is taking place at the time..........

Thanks
Message 1 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?
Message 2 of 27
Martok867
Aspirant

Will do when I get home, currently at work.

Cheers
Message 3 of 27
atai1
Aspirant

I have more or less the same problem.
I have a ReadyNAS RN104 with 2 disks (2TB and 3TB).
It seems that after the software updating to 6.2.3 something doesn't works.
After some minitues of inactivity the system look like freeze; I can't ping the NAS anymore and the power button don't work for shutdown the system and the only way is to pull the plug and restart it.
Only one app running (transmission)
Message 4 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?
Message 5 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So your system was working fine back on 6.2.2?

I suspect that your lockups are probably different then.

Can you run the Disk Test boot menu option?
Message 6 of 27
atai1
Aspirant

Of course can be a case but I didn't have this problem before the system update
How I can find the Disk Test boot menu option?

Found and running.
Why do you think can be something related to the hard disks?
Message 7 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Systems exhibiting the lockup problem tend to also have had that problem on 6.2.2.

Looking at your logs I think it is worth checking to see if there is a problem with a disk.
Message 8 of 27
atai1
Aspirant

After 7 hours the Disks test is still running and now is fixed to 90% since long time.
What I can do now?
Message 9 of 27
StephenB
Guru

atai1 wrote:
After 7 hours the Disks test is still running and now is fixed to 90% since long time.
What I can do now?
Do you have disk spindown enabled?
If so, disable it, and wait somewhat longer. Perhaps also look at the SMART stats and see if there are any errors so far.
Message 10 of 27
atai1
Aspirant

The problem is that I can't do nothing because I have no access now at the NAS (probably because is doing the disks test).
The only way to go out from this step I believe is power off the NAS pulling again the power plug
Message 11 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So it is still stuck on 90%?
Message 12 of 27
atai1
Aspirant

yes it was after 18 hours.
No I have switched off unplugged the power cable and it works normally but I don't know for how long
Message 13 of 27
StephenB
Guru

atai1 wrote:
The problem is that I can't do nothing because I have no access now at the NAS (probably because is doing the disks test).
The only way to go out from this step I believe is power off the NAS pulling again the power plug
Sorry - I was assuming that you were running the disk test from the web UI - but you were running the boot menu.

atai1 wrote:
...it works normally but I don't know for how long
I suggest
-downloading the logs again, and taking a look at the SMART statistics
-scheduling an on-line disk test for each volume (which will reduce performance a bit, but will keep your data available).
-disable disk spindown (if it is enabled). The drives will spin down during the on-line disk test (surprising but true), which will slow the test down.

Are you running plex? (I know you said "no apps" - just want to confirm).
Message 14 of 27
atai1
Aspirant

Thanks for the answer.
Just an update about the system situation:
I have done a test, it seems that the system works properly if I use the NAS, so I have run a ping/t of the NAS IP address and now the RN104 is working properly.
Regarding your suggestion I have first download the log and attached you can see the SMART history log file
For the second point could you please let me know how to do it?
The disk spindown has been always disable
There is only one app running and is transmission
model serial realloc_sect realloc_evnt spin_retry_cnt ioedc cmd_timeouts pending_sect uncorrectable_err ata_errors timestamp time
-------------------- -------------------- ------------ ------------ -------------- ---------- ------------ ------------ ----------------- ---------- ---------- -------------------
WDC WD10EFRX-68JCSN0 WD-WCC1U4968420 0 0 0 -1 -1 0 0 0 1421601375 2015-01-18 17:16:15
ST3000DM001-1CH166 Z1F0YLF7 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1426097097 2015-03-11 18:04:57
Message 15 of 27
af8
Guide
Guide

I have the same issue. Sadly, 6.2.3 has made it worse than before. I'm just going to disable the virus checker to see if that has any effect. The drive locked at shutdown yesterday and then in use today. I'll upload log files.
Message 16 of 27
atai1
Aspirant

Tonight watching a movie it stop 3 times. I don't believe is a matter of the disk.
Something happen that lock the drive even if I am using the NAS.
And this started only after the updating to 6.2.3
Is there a way to go back to 6.2.2 just to understabd is the matter is this?
Message 17 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can install 6.2.2 via the web admin interface.

Go to System > Settings > Update, click the Install Firmware button and browse to where you have downloaded the 6.2.2 firmware to, select it and follow the prompts.
Message 18 of 27
atai1
Aspirant

Just an update about the problem.
Yesterday I have disable the virus checker following the test that is doing af8 and last night I didn't have any issue.
The system start at the specific time and power down at midnight at the time scheduled; when it was on I tryed several time to press the power button and it worked normaly.
Also the system had work normaly without any lock show me the data and let me see the movies.
The system is still on 6.2.3
I will countine to check on the next days what happen
Message 19 of 27
atai1
Aspirant

Tonight an other lock even if I have disabled the virus checker, so I decided to move back to 6.2.2 and see what happen.
I will keep you informed
Message 20 of 27
af8
Guide
Guide

So far, with virus checker disabled no lock ups but will keep monitoring.
Message 21 of 27
atai1
Aspirant

It locked again also with 6.2.2 so I decided to disable the virus checker and from that moment it seems that works.
What do you suggest? Leave like this and test some days or move to 6.2.4?
Message 22 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I guess leave it for some days and then update to 6.2.4 and test on that as well.
Message 23 of 27
TonV
Aspirant

I personally don't see the point of the virus checker on the RN10x boxes, it really slows down your NAS and has no added value (just keep properly updates scanners on your PC's)

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
Message 24 of 27
atai1
Aspirant

Unfortunately it happened again.
Last night I decide to update to 6.2.4 because I was seeing strange things (movie stop every 15 minutes and then restart, seem that lost the network connection for few minutes).
After the update it start again the same situation (lost network connection and impossible to restart the NAS, possible only unplug the power cord).
It happens 2 time in 5 minutes and one time the booting stop and was necessary to unplug again the power cord because the booting was frozen.
Now it's still working after 10 minutes but I don't think it's a normal situation.
Can somebody help me?

Just an updating: it happened again after half hour; in this way the NAS It is unusable
Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements