× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 104 won't start when drives present

hyperlance
Guide

ReadyNAS 104 won't start when drives present

Hi All,

I have a 4 year old ReadyNas 104 and last night it stopped working. I found it in a flashing state with the LED turning on and off rapidly like it was loosing power, and is not able to be remoted into.

I removed all the drives and the NAS boots up into read-only mode without a problem, but as soon as I try to insert any of my 4 drives in any of the bays it freaks out and has the same problem. 

Time for a new NAS?

I had the drives in RAID 5, so please tell me I can get a new NAS and use the drives and the data will still be present.

Thanks.

Model: RN10443D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (4x 3TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 104 won't start when drives present

@hyperlance wrote:

Time for a new NAS?

I had the drives in RAID 5, so please tell me I can get a new NAS and use the drives and the data will still be present.

if the array is intact, you can migrate it to another chassis.

But it is possible that your issue is that the array (or the OS partition) is damaged.  If that is the case, migration likely won't work.

Do you have a spare disk you can test with?  If you do, you could try a fresh factory install with only that disk in place.  Then try that disk in every slot.

If you do this, power down the NAS and label the disks by slot as you remove them.  Also power down before shifting the spare to another slot.

Message 2 of 9
hyperlance
Guide

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have another NAS HDD I can use, but I do have a normal one i could try. But just finding it totally bizzare the thing is freaking out when ANY disk is entered. Normally I would expect the LED to have an error message of some kind, not go crazy like that.

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@hyperlance wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have another NAS HDD I can use, but I do have a normal one i could try.

Try the regular disk - it's fined for this.  But it will be reformatted.

@hyperlance wrote:

But just finding it totally bizzare the thing is freaking out when ANY disk is entered. Normally I would expect the LED to have an error message of some kind, not go crazy like that.

It could be the chassis.  The idea here is to try to figure that out.

Message 4 of 9
hyperlance
Guide

Ok, put the other HDD in and did the same freak out, so guessing its the chasis. 

Will get another today and see how it goes.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 9
hyperlance
Guide

Would the 214 be compatable with the 104?

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@hyperlance wrote:

Would the 214 be compatable with the 104?

Yes.  There are other choices too (RN400, RN500, RN600 series).  All will give you better performance than the RN104.

If you are running plex on the NAS, you'd want to reinstall it afterwards.   The RN100 version will run fine on the RN200, but the RN200 version has some more features (including transcoding).

If you switch to the other models, you'll need to reinstall apps - they use intel processors, not arm.  The system can convert the core OS from arm to x86, but not the apps.

@hyperlance wrote:

Ok, put the other HDD in and did the same freak out, so guessing its the chassis. 

You might try an USB recovery, and see if that works:  https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system  

If you have a thumb drive handy that has an activity light, I suggest trying that one.  

Another thought is that you could do a risk-buy of a replacement power adapter, and see if that solves it.  That's a very long shot, but they are inexpensive.  A variant here - the RN104 and RN214 use the same adapter.  So you could try the RN214 power adapter with the RN104 before you migrate.  If that happens to work, you can then purchase a replacement adapter for the RN104.  Then use the RN214 as the main NAS, and re-purpose the RN104 as a backup.

Message 7 of 9
hyperlance
Guide

Finally got my 214 yesterday after so many delays... Put my drives in and they detected without issue. WOOT!

Message 8 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

The 214 power supply is compatible with the 104, so you could try that to see if there is any chance of resurrecting the 104, perhps for use as a backup device.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements