× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 1100 BLOD (Blue Light of Death)

6speed1
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 1100 BLOD (Blue Light of Death)

I have a ReadyNAS 1100 running RAIDiator 4.1.14 with 4 2TB Seagate drives.

It was running fine when I went to bed and when I got up it had a blue blinking light.

RAIDar does not see it unless I remove the drives in which case the chassis boots.

I tried the drives in another working chassis and get the same blinking blue light.

No, I don’t have a backup (or rather my brother doesn’t).

Are we hosed? :cry:
Message 1 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sent you a PM.
Message 2 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I can only see three disks in the NAS (disks 2, 3 and 4) and one of the disks I do see has 48 ATA errors.

Are all four disks in the NAS?
Message 3 of 11
6speed1
Aspirant

So after some help from mgdm, I cloned the failing drive and replaced the bad drive.

Raidar shows the system as up and healthy but the system led is still blinking slow blue and the drive LEDs are not on. I also can not access from Windows or a web browser.

So before I call tech support do you all have any ideas I should try first and what can I do to make sure my tech support call is as successful as possible?

Thanks 🙂

Message 4 of 11
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello 6speed1,

That may be not done yet after inserted the cloned disk I think there is something else left to do. PM back mdgm for next step.

Regards,

Message 5 of 11
6speed1
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion. 🙂

Turns out that the reset switch is either broken or stuck so my brother will have to fix that first before I try to fix it.

I 90% sure there is still an issue with the disk set because he has another 1100 that is working. I put the 4 disks from this 1100 in the working 1100 and get the same blinking blue light.

My next step is to try an OS Re-install for grins which is how I figured out the button is stuck.

Also, this support page mentions the abilty to do an offlne disk test but doesn't say how to do it.

Ideas?

Message 6 of 11
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi 6speed1,

As I understand, you were instructed to do disk clone and you inserted the cloned disk to the chassis. Did you already contact mdgm after doing that? I believe that is not done yet.

Regards,

Message 7 of 11
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi 6speed1,

Please contact support center before doing that OS reinstall and/or any boot option from the boot menu. Inserting cloned disk does not mean it will work with the remaning disk right away, there are some steps needs to be don after that like rebuilding the raid with the cloned disk and the other ones. If you are trying to keep data instact or recover the data, contact support.

Regards,

Message 8 of 11
6speed1
Aspirant

@JennC wrote:

Hi @6speed1,

Please contact support center before doing that OS reinstall and/or any boot option from the boot menu. Inserting cloned disk does not mean it will work with the remaning disk right away, there are some steps needs to be don after that like rebuilding the raid with the cloned disk and the other ones. If you are trying to keep data instact or recover the data, contact support.

Regards,

Will do. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the info.

Message 9 of 11
6speed1
Aspirant

I opened case # 25998925. 🙂

Message 10 of 11
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello 6speed1,

Good to hear you have contacted support already, however, I checked the case you opened and it appears there is no serial number linked to it with model number RND4450. Please make sure to register the product's serial number as that is important when contacting support. RND4450 is a ReadyNAS NV+ while the model you mentioned here is ReadyNAS 1100.

Also, the case you opened is empty, there is no message but just the title. Please note that support may require you to purchase data recovery service too.

Regards,

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements