× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 1100 Bit the Dust in a Move. Any ideas for me?

xstatic1971
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 1100 Bit the Dust in a Move. Any ideas for me?

In the madness of a home move, I left my readynas in my desk.  I never dreamed the movers would flip the desk up on its side, but when I saw them do it and I heard my ReadyNAS flop around, I realized it could be a very bad thing.

So, I just got my NAS out to power it up and upon putting the cord in and turning it on, nuttin....  No lights, no sounds.  Just deadness.

So, my thoughts are... Could it just be the power supply?  Is there a way to test that?  In worst case scenario, can I just take all the drives out and install them into my desktop in a raid formation and pick up where I left off?  Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Craig

Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 1100 Bit the Dust in a Move. Any ideas for me?

Assuming there is no visible damage inside, start by reseating the memory, and making sure connectors, etc didn't come loose.

It'd also be wise to run vendor diags on the disks (in a PC).  Make sure you label them by slot.

Message 2 of 8
xstatic1971
Aspirant

I am thinking the power supply must be shot. Just because when it's plugged in and I hit the power shouldn't at least the fan on the power supply turn on?
Message 3 of 8
xstatic1971
Aspirant

I checked the memory and the connections look ok too. Btw. Thanks for the quick response. Very much appreciate it
Message 4 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you recall which RAID level you were using?

Message 5 of 8
xstatic1971
Aspirant

Seems like it was RAID5.

Craig

Message 6 of 8
xstatic1971
Aspirant

Hey gang.  Again thanks for any and all responses.

So, I purchased this power supply:

http://www.amazon.com/Enhance-ENP-7025B-Supply-Certified-caseen/dp/B006ORBC14/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid...

Which is supposed to replace the ReadyNAS 1100 power supply.  However, I plugged it up and hit the switch and a little blue light flashed on what looked like the USB dongle that's in there (I suppose it is flash ROM/BIOS?)  and the blue light flashed and turned off and nothing happened.  So, to make sure it wasn't the switch, I plugged the power plug directly into the power supply bypassing the switch and same thing.  Flash of blue light and nothing.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Thanks!

Craig

Message 7 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

The 1100 does not use a standard ATX pin-out on the connector.  See here: https://community.netgear.com/ejquo23388/attachments/ejquo23388/readynas-hardware-compatibility/1347....  Netgear replaced some unneded voltages with more +12V for the drives.  You probably didn't ruin the NAS since the -12V and -5V are probably overwhelmed by the +12V you shorted them to, but the new supply may be toast.  Short the green wire to a black wire and the supply should turn on when plugged in. 

As far as at least the fan coming on, no, that may not happen with a bad supply.  Sometimes you see a slight movement in the fan or an indicator flash on like you did, or even more if some voltages are good, and sometimes nothing.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements