× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 1100 installation problem

Phil_C
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 1100 installation problem

Hello All

I have just put four Seagate ST2000DM001 2tb drives in my ReadyNAS 1100 (Previously it had a single 1tb drive) The 1100 is past the first three steps and according to the manual the drives icons should now be showing up three solid green and the fourth flashing green and the Act light also flashing while RAID syncronisation occurs which can take upto 10 hours however none of the four lights are lit and the Act only flashes once every ten seconds or so. According to Raidar the Drives are all operating normally but the Status shows "Volume C: Raid Level X, Dead; 767 MB (1%) of 82 GB Used" and accessing the 1100 through the web browser shows that all four drives are "Available Disks" but lists nothing under "Configuration", "Status" or "Raid Disks".

I am reluctant to reboot the 1100 in case this is normal and it might interupt the syncronisation.

Thanks in advance

Phil

Model: RNR4000 (ReadyNAS 1100)|ReadyNAS 1100 Network Storage System|EOL
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 1100 installation problem

Not all disks on the compatibility list are equal. And the 1100 was superceded back in 2009, so we haven't tested disks in this system in quite some time.

If a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) does not resolve the problem, please hook the disks up to your PC and delete the partitions off the disks.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This isn't normal.

Which firmware are you running?

Were these disks previously used in another system?

Also, not all disks are equal. I wouldn't recommend this particular disk model. SeaGate NAS 2TB or WD RED 2TB would have been preferable.

Message 2 of 5
Phil_C
Aspirant

The firmware is RAIDiator 4.1.14 [1.00a147]. As far as I could find this is the latest firmware for this device.

The disks were used on an adaptec 31205 raid adapter and were set to a striped mirrored array. Do you think I should connect them to a pc and format them? I thought the NAS would format the drives on installation.

I don't have any other disks to use in this system at this stage and the hardware compatibility list for the 1100 lists the ST2000DM001 so it should work. I could not find any mention of the NAS series drives in the HCL.

Regards

Phil

Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Not all disks on the compatibility list are equal. And the 1100 was superceded back in 2009, so we haven't tested disks in this system in quite some time.

If a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) does not resolve the problem, please hook the disks up to your PC and delete the partitions off the disks.

Message 4 of 5
Phil_C
Aspirant

The factory default reset did the trick. All disks are now showing up as an x-raid configuration and the syncronisation has partially completed (5 hours till completion).

Thanks again

Phil

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements