× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 2000v2 and SMB

JohnAttwood
Follower

ReadyNAS 2000v2 and SMB

After a couple months inactive due to holidays, and several Windows updates, I am now unable to access the shares on the ReadyNAS. Keep getting the following error message (which will NOT copy ... GRRRR!) 

"You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack.

Your system requires SMB2 or higher. ..."

Nothing in the link suggested is of any help whatsoever (surprise - it's Windows, after all!)

What do I need to do to update the NAS to accept SMB2 (or 3??) so I can again access my files?

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 2000v2 and SMB

@JohnAttwood wrote:

What do I need to do to update the NAS to accept SMB2 (or 3??) so I can again access my files?

You can't.  What you can do is open "Turn Windows Features On or Off" on the PC, and enable the SMB 1 client.

As noted in the message, there is a security risk, as the protocol isn't secure. In my opinion Microsoft overstates it - while I wouldn't deploy it on a larger enterprise network, it is reasonably safe on a home network.

To fully resolve it, you'll need to buy a current OS-6 NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 2000v2 and SMB

@JohnAttwood wrote:

You can't.  What you can do is open "Turn Windows Features On or Off" on the PC, and enable the SMB 1 client.

As noted in the message, there is a security risk, as the protocol isn't secure. In my opinion Microsoft overstates it - while I wouldn't deploy it on a larger enterprise network, it is reasonably safe on a home network.

To fully resolve it, you'll need to buy a current OS-6 NAS.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements