× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 204 / 6.3.5 keeps crashing

Max_1968
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 204 / 6.3.5 keeps crashing

Hi,

my ReadyNAS 204 with OS 6.3.5, Antivir, SMB Plus and Plex installed keeps crashing... I am (among others) using it to record the video from multiple Raspberry Pi based cameras - These record video when motion is detected and move the files on a ReadyNAS NFS share (also a video folder for plex) which is then mirrored to dropbox. The crashes seem to happen when lots of traffic is present on the ReadyNAS, but i am not completely sure about it. The device keeps responding to ping, but the NFS server is not responding anymore, login via ssh is not possible, and also the web GUI does not respond anymore. Even graceful shutdown via the power button is not possible, only solution is to unplug the power. Whenever this happens i leave the device running for another 1-2 days to see if it recovers on its own, unfortunately to no avail.

There was another thread with a similar (identical) fault desctiption, this one was supposed to be solved with 6.3.5 which is (for me) not the case.

Any hints ?

Thx,
Max

Message 1 of 7
vandermerwe
Master

Do you have bitrot protection and/or snapshots turned on for the relevant shares, if so turn them off?

There are a couple of things you can do to try to isolate the problem:

1. Test all the disks with vendor tools.  

2. Turn off as many apps as you can and antivirus off and see if the problem recurs.  If the problem goes away, turn each thing back on in turn and see when it recurs.

3. You can also try an OS reinstall if all the above fail to reveal a cause.

If you do identify the cause , perhaps open a support ticket with Netgear.

Message 2 of 7
Max_1968
Aspirant

Hi,

Bit-rot-protection, compression and snapshots are all off for all shares

checking the disks with vendor tools it a bit hard work for this, i understand i have to take disk by disk to a PC, perform the check there, and resync them ?  I expect any disk errors to be reported by the NAS itself without having to use any external systems. I'm using WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 on Firmware 82.00A82, and all 4 look good on the admin GUI.

I've now turned off all apps including Antivirus except dropbox sync to see if the problem persists, will update here if i find something.

I've also checked the logs to no avail, there is just nothing in there anymore until the restart - But i found that the logfile from the radius app is still written although the app was deinstalled already some time ago, so it seems there are some leftovers of this.

Max

Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please send me your logs (see the Sending a logs link in my sig).

Message 4 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the logs. I would suggest keeping an eye on things to see if it still crashes now that you have disabled some services.

Message 5 of 7
Max_1968
Aspirant

It seems to be the plex app - It was running fine until today, but in the morning i installed version 0.9.12.8.1362-4601e39 again from the plex.tv website, and while still indexing my media files it crashed again.

This really is a shame, as it is the main purpose for the NAS... If it will stay crashing with this activated i will have to look for another NAS...

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Max_1968 wrote:

It seems to be the plex app - It was running fine until today, but in the morning i installed version 0.9.12.8.1362-4601e39 again from the plex.tv website, and while still indexing my media files it crashed again.

This really is a shame, as it is the main purpose for the NAS... If it will stay crashing with this activated i will have to look for another NAS...

I've seen some lockups when updating metadata for large media libraries (nothing recent though).  Mis-tagged or corrupted media files could be provoking the problem.  Perhaps install plex on a PC, and use the NAS media library there too - that might give you some clues on what is going wrong.

You can also use plexignore to control what is scanned (gradually adding more subfolders until the problem resurfaces).

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements