× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 204 OS 6.4.0 "Please remove inactive volumes", case #25950625

Max_1968
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 204 OS 6.4.0 "Please remove inactive volumes", case #25950625

Hi,

after some stability issues of my ReadyNAS 204 in the past with different OS 6 releases it now finally crashed some weeks after the installation of 6.4.0 with the above error message. I've opened the above case, response from tech support is i had a power failure and should order data recovery services. I do have a backup which is quite a bit outdated, however i do not understand why i should pay for data recovery services as (to me) it seems there are many bugs in 6.4.0 which might have caused this issue. At least I'd expect from Netgear to recover my data free of charge, in case that fails they could refer me to my backup responsibility.

Anyone from Netgear able to help me on this ?

Thx,

Max

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 204 OS 6.4.0 "Please remove inactive volumes", case #25950625

Thanks for sharing your concern. I have just spent some time reviewing your case.

Support has diagnosed that the RAID is out of sync and won't start and that this happened as a result of a hard shutdown. We do not recommend doing a hard shutdown. It is important to proceed with caution in such cases to maximise the chances of data recovery. This requires advanced skills and is time consuming.

Our warranty does not cover data recovery (furthermore please note that the data recovery we do is software only. If a disk needs to be physically repaired for data recovery then the only option is 3rd party data recovery).

Backups are important. Important data should never be stored on a single device. There is always the possibility that things can go wrong with any system.

As for whether a firmware update was a factor in the problem that can be relevant for software issues. We do make exceptions sometimes at our discretion to fix problems even outside of support warranty that we have established were caused by a firmware update.

Data recovery is not something we can make such an exception for. In any case the problem you encountered could occur on any firmware on any NAS. Backups should be updated regularly, particularly before installing firmware updates. This is just like you should backup your Mac/PC before installing software updates, especially major ones.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for sharing your concern. I have just spent some time reviewing your case.

Support has diagnosed that the RAID is out of sync and won't start and that this happened as a result of a hard shutdown. We do not recommend doing a hard shutdown. It is important to proceed with caution in such cases to maximise the chances of data recovery. This requires advanced skills and is time consuming.

Our warranty does not cover data recovery (furthermore please note that the data recovery we do is software only. If a disk needs to be physically repaired for data recovery then the only option is 3rd party data recovery).

Backups are important. Important data should never be stored on a single device. There is always the possibility that things can go wrong with any system.

As for whether a firmware update was a factor in the problem that can be relevant for software issues. We do make exceptions sometimes at our discretion to fix problems even outside of support warranty that we have established were caused by a firmware update.

Data recovery is not something we can make such an exception for. In any case the problem you encountered could occur on any firmware on any NAS. Backups should be updated regularly, particularly before installing firmware updates. This is just like you should backup your Mac/PC before installing software updates, especially major ones.

Message 2 of 4
Max_1968
Aspirant

Thx mdgm,

to my best knowledge this (hard shutdown) is not what happened.

The ReadyNAS was completely stuck like multiple times before (see my other thread about the 204), this might be caused by the Plex plugin. It did neither react on the GUI, ssh nor the power button, but did reply on ping. I opened a ticket about this issue, and when i was talking to level 2 support the next day it was responsive again. To my best knowledge there was no power outage or anything like this between, i have my router as well as several other NAS in the same cabinet connected to the same power outlet, and none of these had any issues.

I completely agree with your statements about my responsibility to backup as well as scope and charges for data recovery services, but not for this particular unit which is not usable for its main purpose as a Plex and file server for my home due to instability from the moment i bought it.

i'm willing to order data recovery services for the Ultra 4 which crashed just few weeks before the 204 as i reacted too late on disk failures, but not for this particular 204 unit.

Please have someone provide me an official and final answer to this case, depending on this i will decide on further steps.

Thx,
Max

Message 3 of 4
Max_1968
Aspirant

Hi mdgm,

Level 3 tech support was able to recover my data, meanwhile i have a new and current backup of all data to another NAS system, and i will prepare another backup tomorrow.

Thanks a lot to all involved,

Max

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements