× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 204 SSH access denied after Factory Default (6.9.0)

spiffin
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 204 SSH access denied after Factory Default (6.9.0)

Hello

I reset my ReadyNAS 204 (System > Settings > Perform Factory Default) running the latest firmware 6.9.0. recently and since then SSH does not work. I have enabled SSH via System > Settings > Services (exactly as here: https://kb.netgear.com/30068/ReadyNAS-OS-6-SSH-access-support-and-configuration-guides) but any attempt to connect via ssh (ssh root@IPADDRESS) gives "Permission denied, please try again."

I've tried changing the admin password and reinstalling the OS via Boot Menu - but neither work.

SSH was working fine before the factory reset. Could anyone suggest how to get it working again please?

Thanks,

Simon

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
spiffin
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS 204 SSH access denied after Factory Default (6.9.0)

Thanks for the reply mdgm.

This issue seems to be connected with restoring a configuration backup of everything - including users. 

I tried another Factory Default without restoring a configuration backup and now SSH works as expected.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

A while back we added the option to upload a SSH key as this is more secure than using password authentication for SSH.

Have you made to sure to either enable password authentication for SSH when you turned SSH on or to upload your public SSH key to the NAS?

If password authentication is disabled and your SSH key is not accepted then permission to login will be denied.

Message 2 of 3
spiffin
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply mdgm.

This issue seems to be connected with restoring a configuration backup of everything - including users. 

I tried another Factory Default without restoring a configuration backup and now SSH works as expected.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements