× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 204 Will not shut down fully, shows do_exit+9ec

Jeff-01
Aspirant

I find I am having this issue after the last update to firmware 6.9.3.  On shutdown it hangs with do_exit+9ec displayed.  I tried shutting down with NIC unplugged and again with NIC unplugged and all drives removed. 

I see that this is listed as resolved. My question is, how was it resolved?

Message 26 of 65
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Jeff-01, I don't see it listed as resolved. Please see evan's post just before yours.

Message 27 of 65
Syao
Aspirant

I have the same toruble firmware 6.9.3. Firstly ethernet adapter lost link to the router no link up then the same trouble with shutting down.

There is the same message. What can i do? Help pls.

I can send logs

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 28 of 65
Ronnycr
Aspirant

Hi I do have the exact same problem, RN214 with No IP, Nic do not work, and got the exact same message: do_exit+9ec. I also got version 6.9.3.

Have you get any update/solution from your case? My RN214 is a brick right now and I am really worry about my data. Thanks.

Model: RN214D41|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay
Message 29 of 65
djrees
Aspirant

Since I started this thread I felt I should put in my experience.  This may or may not be related to the reason that your NAS shows this error.

In my case the problem was related to one of the NIC going bad.  My unit was still under warranty and was exchanged.  Replacement unit is working without a problem.  

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204
Message 30 of 65
Sandshark
Sensei

That's usually a problem with bad standby power (which, I suppose, could be pulled down by a bad NIC).  The NIC and power on/off circuit are powered by that -- the only power tht stays on continuously.  Unfortunately, on units with brick power supplies, that's created by an internal regulator and there is typically no way to to fix it since Netgear has not provided schematics.

Since standby power is on all the time, it's subject to damage any time the unit is plugged in.  If you allow your NAS to get exceptionally hot when it's "off", that can accelerate the failure.  So can power disruptions (especially with brown-outs) when the unit is "off" (and many assume "safe" from such things).

Message 31 of 65
Frank888
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Syao,  Ronnycr, Djrees,

Could you provide your Serial Numbers (S/N) of systems?  S/N can be found on the product label.

Message 32 of 65
Ronnycr
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks all for your comments.

Model RN21400

S/N is; 4FHA7A5C0030E

OS 6.9.3

Firmware> I don't know, I have no conectitivity to the device, can it be retrieve in front pane? how?

The NAS is connected to APC UPS, at home.

Ronny

Message 33 of 65
StephenB
Guru

@Ronnycr wrote:

OS 6.9.3

Firmware> I don't know, I have no conectitivity to the device, can it be retrieve in front pane? how?

Actually you've answered it - OS 6.9.3

Message 34 of 65
c3po
NETGEAR Expert

For those affected by this issue, would you please try this:

Login into Web GUI Admin page -> System -> Performance -> Status -> Under fan, select cool mode

Please let us know if you still have issue with cool mode.

The cause of this issue:

Ethernet PHY is not properly initialized during boot when board temperature is high. Besides lost of Ethernet connection, it also keeps wake on LAN (WOL) active which prevent system power off regardless if WOL is enabled or not.

Temporary work around:

If system runs into this issue already, unplug system, wait system temperature drops to room temperature(about 10 minutes), then power on. Select cool mode should reduce chance of run into this issue.

Software fix:

We are working on a software fix which will detect and re-initialize network properly.

Message 35 of 65
Ronnycr
Aspirant

In my case, the system was unplugged for serveral days, so it was cold, still have the issue, no IP address.

So, I hear about a power supply issue might be causing the problem, which at this time, I believe is more related to it than a temperature issue.

I don´t live in US, does any one have a number for support to call internationally (+1 (area code) xxxx-xxx : NO1 800 number), I think I need a RMA. 

By the way, I can't open a case becausee I am not able to register my box, I continue to get an error when trying to do that, already send a note to customer service and they confirmed having issues with it.  So, my only option is to call support....

Thanks

Message 36 of 65
c3po
NETGEAR Expert

Hi  Ronnycr,

Would you please help to provide following details?

1. Did you try both upper and lower Ethernet port? Did both ports fail to get an IP address?

2. When it fails to get an IP address, did RJ45 LED on Ethernet port come on? Or no any Etehrnet LED at all?

3. When this happens, does power LED eventually become solid green? Meaning boot completed successfully but without an IP?

4. If boot finishes, you press power button two or three times depends on if LCD is on, does it initiate power off sequence, and eventually display do_exit+9ec message on LCD with system fully shutdown but fails to turn off power?

5. Anything else you felt abnormal before the system ran into problem?

Thanks! 

Message 37 of 65
Ronnycr
Aspirant

Find my answers below:

1. Did you try both upper and lower Ethernet port? Did both ports fail to get an IP address?

Yes, both ports and nothing. Even tried to boot up with each one, after the system is cold, and nothing, both ports fails to get IP address.

2. When it fails to get an IP address, did RJ45 LED on Ethernet port come on? Or no any Ethernet LED at all?

Yes, both ports shows a solid green light only, no other light or color is displayed. See pics. Both Ethernet shows this solid green light wheather the cable is plugged or not.

3. When this happens, does power LED eventually become solid green? Meaning boot completed successfully but without an IP? Yes, exactly, solid green light and booting is completed successfully.

4. If boot finishes, you press power button two or three times depends on if LCD is on, does it initiate power off sequence, and eventually display do_exit+9ec message on LCD with system fully shutdown but fails to turn off power?

Yes, what you described is exactly what happens....

5. Anything else you felt abnormal before the system ran into problem? I don't know if it is abnormal or not, really didn't pay attention to it before the problem, but the system boots up quite fast until it gets to 95%, the it takes longer time to finish, but it does finish OK. I reinstalled the OS from the boot menu, didn't fix anything. The fan sounds normal, the system temperature as I touch it, seems normal.IMG_2138.JPGIMG_2140.JPGIMG_2141.JPGIMG_2131.JPGIMG_2137.JPG

Message 38 of 65
c3po
NETGEAR Expert

Sorry for your troubles. I will try to contact our tech support and see if they can RMA your unit, if so, you will be notified by PM. Once you received replacement unit, simply move your drives to new unit, it should come up with everything same as before. Thanks.

Message 39 of 65
Ronnycr
Aspirant

Thanks a lot, if RMA is approved, please let me know, as the shipping address from the original shipping changed (need to confirm)

Ronny

Message 40 of 65
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

ronnycr, I understand that support is waiting on you providing your shipping details to them. Did you get their email?

Message 41 of 65
Ronnycr
Aspirant

Yes, I got the email. I sent the information more than a week ago and unfortunately, I haven't receive any news. I don't live in USA, and I was going to take advantage of a friend traveling to US to take the box. He is leaving this comming monday, but I guess I will miss it. I had never send anything back to NETGEAR, so I am not familiar with the timing... I thought was going to be faster...

Message 42 of 65
neo3779
Aspirant

I am having the same issue, please help.

Message 43 of 65
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you still see this on 6.9.4 Beta?
Message 44 of 65
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @djrees @neo3779

Were you able to try to upgrade to BETA firmware

You may want to try and let us know if you still see the same issue.

Regards

Message 45 of 65
neo3779
Aspirant

I cannot even get to the Webbased UI to install the firmware.

Message 46 of 65
StephenB
Guru

@neo3779 wrote:

I cannot even get to the Webbased UI to install the firmware.

Is the system not responding?  Or is this another issue (forgotten password, etc)?

Message 47 of 65
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@neo3779

Did you get IP address? it the issue happen, eht0 can't be enabled when NAS power on,

Cloud do you please try to connect to another Ethernet port?

Message 48 of 65
Syao
Aspirant

I had this trouble until made RMA then send/recieve new equipment and have get the support answer that it is known issue. I should wait new firmware because it is bug of 6.9.3 which affected on hardware (line card) and it is known trouble which will be fixed in new release. Just i have information that provided 6.9.4 and i'm intersting is it fixed or not?

When i've recived replacement hardware (main box) I have stay with 6.9.2 firmware until now. Today i think to upgrade or not on new.

What are you think?

I'm asking because i did not see that in chanes this trouble is highlited.

Message 49 of 65
Ronnycr
Aspirant

Hummmm... I got my new NAS from the RMA, but is still in 6.9.3, so I am wonder> Is this problem related to software bug in this version or it was a hardware failure? Asking becasue if it is a software bug, then I should upgrade to beta 6.9.4.... or not?

The same day I sent out my unit, i got a email asking me to try the beta and let them know if it worked out ok. By reading the messages, it gives me the impresion that Netgear is not sure about it... of course I can be wrong. Can some one confirm?

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|
Message 50 of 65
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements