× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 214 Will not shut down fully, shows do_exit+9ec

jarvis42
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS 204 Will not shut down fully, shows do_exit+9ec

Hello, has there been any resolution / update to this problem?

I just attempted to install a firmware update per the NAS prompted email "A new firmware version (6.9.4) is available.".

Upon rebooting, the NAS got stuck on the error shown in this thread: do_exit+9ec

After manually powering down and back on, the firmware reports it being 6.9.3, however cannot obtain an IP address (tried both ethernet ports, lights do not turn on for either), so I can't get to the Admin page for further information at this point.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 51 of 65
jarvis42
Aspirant

Update:

-tried different ethernet cable / port on router, still no IP 

-tried resetting OS via boot menu, still same problem after startup

-tried booting NAS with both drives removed; the NAS appeared to boot to Safe Mode, and the ethernet lights turned on (saw the previous IP in the router admin as well, but device was not accessible)

-powered off, unplugged ethernet from NAS, re-inserted drives, powered on: the NAS started, and then showed the newer firmware as being present (6.9.4) where it previously did not. Plugged the ethernet back in, the NAS is now back on the network and appears functional. 

Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

Message 52 of 65
jsore
Aspirant

Re: ReRN21400 ReadyNAS Will not shut down fully, shows do_exit+9ec

I have the same problem anytime I shut the NAS down or when an update is performed. It is a pain to get things running again. I keep forgetting the steps I take from one time to the next. Please help fix this. RN21400
Message 53 of 65
mdgm
Virtuoso

@Ronnycr wrote:

Hummmm... I got my new NAS from the RMA, but is still in 6.9.3

That's because when the NAS boots it compares the firmware on the disks and on the flash and fixes the mismatch. The firmware on the flash was likely older.

@Ronnycr wrote:

should upgrade to beta 6.9.4.... or not?

There's production 6.9.4 firmware now.

@jsore wrote:
I have the same problem anytime I shut the NAS down or when an update is performed. It is a pain to get things running again. I keep forgetting the steps I take from one time to the next. Please help fix this. RN21400

You should check if you still see this after successfully updating to 6.9.4.

If all else fails you should power down the system, disconnect the power and let it cool off for a while and see if that helps.

Message 54 of 65
Syao
Aspirant

my was working witjh it sometime then fail

Message 55 of 65
jsore
Aspirant

I found if i power down, still showing "do_exit+9ec". Wait a while, plug power in, if network adapter card on nas lights up, then plug network cable in, nas will now start network and startup normally. Latest ver 6.9.4.
I think the key is waiting a while not sure why, nas should not have this behavior. Netgear please f i x this bug.
Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 56 of 65
StephenB
Guru

There is an issue with the NIC interface in the RN214 overheating sometimes - there should be a software driver change in 6.9.4 to take care of that problem.  I don't believe that issue affects the RN204, but I could be wrong on that.

If you are still seeing this symptom with the RN214/6.9.4, then you probably should contact paid support (my.netgear.com) and ask for an RMA.

Message 57 of 65
Timms
Aspirant

My 214 had Exactly the same symptoms as described by Ronnycr (2018-06-10 12:39 PM). I read thru the thread, powered down the NAS, put a small USB-connected desk fan on the unit to assist with cool down, and powered back up. It got an IP address and the do_exit+9ec message on shutdown was gone. Also - prior to the cool down, it was on 6.9.3; after power up, 6.9.4. I might set Admin > System > Performance > Status > under the Fan > set to "Cool" and may even keep the desk fan on it, but sounds like 6.9.4 should fix the problem. I will be keeping an eye on it, though.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 58 of 65
jsore
Aspirant

Hello, has there been any resolution / update to this problem?

I just attempted to install a firmware update per the NAS prompted email "A new firmware version (6.9.5) is available.".

Upon rebooting, the NAS got stuck on the error shown in this thread: do_exit+9ec

After manually powering down and back on, the firmware reports it being 6.9.5, however cannot obtain an IP address (tried both ethernet ports, lights do not turn on for either), so I can't get to the Admin page for further information at this point.

I have had this problem from day one, very frustrated, don't want to loose my data. System is set up as a raid 5, support can I get a new unit if this one is bad.

Message 59 of 65
StephenB
Guru

@jsore wrote:

I have had this problem from day one, very frustrated, don't want to loose my data. System is set up as a raid 5, support can I get a new unit if this one is bad.

This is a community forum, it isn't paid support.  You can reach paid support via my.netgear.com.  

Try powering down the system and remove all hard drives (labeling by slot).  Then power up, and see if the ethernet leds light, and if RAIDar can detect the NAS (showing a no disks status).  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads  That will confirm if the issue is with the NIC hardware.  If your system is covered by the hardware warranty (3 years for the original purchaser), then you can get an RMA.

Message 60 of 65
jsore
Aspirant

I waited 2 hours and tried again. Everything worked fine. I has to be a high temp issue. I am having problems with support relizing that I have a hardware issue. Not sure what to do now. Thanks for your feedback, will file it for future reference if needed.

Message 61 of 65
Zurd
Star

Any news on a fix? It is still happening with 6.10.1.

The only way I can boot is by putting it in the freezer for 15 minutes, works everytime. Or by letting it cool down for several hours but even then, sometimes it doesn't work.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 62 of 65
Zurd
Star

A fix would be greatly appreciated. My RN214 is still under hardware warranty until 2020 but I cannot get an RMA, they want 79$ for a year of support so a level 2 technician can diagnose what I already diagnosed.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 63 of 65
StephenB
Guru

@Zurd wrote:

but I cannot get an RMA, they want 79$ for a year of support so a level 2 technician can diagnose what I already diagnosed.

I believe they will refund the charge once they qualify the RMA.

Message 64 of 65
jsore
Aspirant

I was able to get and RMA and was sent a diskless unit. Once the drives were installed from the old unit everything is working just fine now. I think I had a bad NIC card. Now when I restart the unit or after a software update the unit shuts down and restarts. Hope you can get an RMA.

Message 65 of 65
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements