× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 2100 FrontView blank page - Firmware 4.2.31

Fandango2022
Apprentice

No joy with any of the USB restore options.    Tried both a 4.2 and a 6 version with no difference.  NAS boots into 4.2.31 with the bad FrontView system visible.    Thanks to you all @mdgm , @Sandshark , @StephenB  for having a  go at helping me.  Much appreciated.    Think I will EBay this one for spares or repairs.

Message 26 of 57
SamirD
Prodigy

I would still try some period correct portable versions of browsers to see if you can see everything in frontview.  I somehow recall having this problem with just the wrong browser on my os4 units...

Message 27 of 57
Fandango2022
Apprentice

Thanks for your reply @SamirD .  I'll take your advice and try some Android browsers to see If I get anything different.

Message 28 of 57
Fandango2022
Apprentice

Still no joy.  Tried phone browser versions and both old (V3.0) of Firefox and current version with TLS 1.0 support switched on.  Still no Front-view options available just blank Front-view container screen.  it seems as though the VPD file  repair I did has not worked.  It went onto the machine fine but hasn't done the intended job.    I have tried adding more drives to the unit and this has not made any difference either.    Is there anything I can do to try to see if the EEPROM is corrupt?  Any documentation that will allow me to attempt a repair?  I have nothing to lose by trying.  Also, are there any  Netgear  guru's that could fix it?  I Remember saying only Netgear support could   build  a new VPD file?    How much would it cost to get the unit fixed ?

Thanks

Message 29 of 57
SamirD
Prodigy

Strange, but a phone browser just may not work.  I believe firefox 52 esr is what I'm using that works.  I've moved my nas units for now so I can't double check, but I did get a 'new to me' one recently that should have os4 on it so I can try.  Just don't know when I can get to building this new one or moving the other ones back where I can access them.

Message 30 of 57
mdgm
Virtuoso

@Fandango2022 wrote:

No joy with any of the USB restore options.    Tried both a 4.2 and a 6 version with no difference.  NAS boots into 4.2.31 with the bad FrontView system visible.    Thanks to you all @mdgm , @Sandshark , @StephenB  for having a  go at helping me.  Much appreciated.    Think I will EBay this one for spares or repairs.

To put OS6 on you still have to use the 4.2 USB Boot Recovery, but you have to rename the OS6 image so that the recovery script will accept it. Each time you do USB Boot Recovery the EEPROM may become corrupt if it is not already.

Message 31 of 57
Fandango2022
Apprentice

Hi @SamirD , thanks for the info.  I think my whole problem here is that i should not have attempted to upgrade this unit to OS6.  Think it might have been a V1.  I am not sure how to tell now.  

Message 32 of 57
Fandango2022
Apprentice

Hi @mdgm , thanks for replying.  As I said above, I think the OS6 upgrade attempt is what has caused me the issue in the first place.    Think this unit was a V1.     All I need to do now Is get it back to a working 4+ version.  The various fixes have not worked in this area, so think I am going to have to seek out help to repair the VPD or EEPROM.

Message 33 of 57
SamirD
Prodigy

If you're getting the general outline and format of the frontview page, then I think your os4 is fine and that it's the browser since os4 is old enough that the browser makes a huge difference.  Have you tried ff 52 esr?  I use the portable version of it I believe.  The other versions of portable browsers I would try are x-chrome 45 (winpenpack) and slimjet portable v10 (based on chrome 49).

What is your current drive configuration?  Single drive?

Message 34 of 57
StephenB
Guru

@SamirD wrote:

If you're getting the general outline and format of the frontview page, then I think your os4 is fine and that it's the browser since os4 is old enough that the browser makes a huge difference. 

Firefox 94.0.2 will work with 4.2.31.

Message 35 of 57
SamirD
Prodigy

Good to know even though the best bet is to always use something from the same era when working with older gear ime.

Message 36 of 57
Fandango2022
Apprentice

Current drive configuration is 2 x WD  2TB.  I am going to try all of those browser versiosn toay.  Will let you know how I gt on.  Thanks @SamirD 

Message 37 of 57
Fandango2022
Apprentice

Thanks  @StephenB .  Will try those also.

Message 38 of 57
Fandango2022
Apprentice

Hi @SamirD , @StephenB , @mdgm  Have tried FF  52 esr this morning and it makes no difference.    Made sure Antivirus shields were off when attempting connection, as this seems to be the only way my network allows me to talk to the unit.  All I get is - 

Fandango2022_0-1671530424371.png

Funny though -  If I switch to the shares directory, I do get some functionality to change the admin password, but I have always been able to do this  in the many browsers I have tried.

Fandango2022_2-1671530853992.png

I think that there is still something wrong with the VPD file, as this unit displays differently in RAIDar than my others, with no model number specified and a completely missing serial number section.

Fandango2022_1-1671530746289.png

Message 39 of 57
mdgm
Virtuoso

Yes. That RAIDar output indicates that the VPD has been wiped.
Message 40 of 57
Fandango2022
Apprentice

Yes @mdgm , but as detailed earlier in this thread I have followed a tutorial on copying a  VPD file from one  2100 to another, successfully.  Would you see this behavior If the VPD was not it's original?

Message 41 of 57
mdgm
Virtuoso

Copying the VPD from one unit to another is not the recommended way to try to fix this problem.

Also, the 2100 V1 and V2 are very different units to each other.

If after fixing the VPD if that was successful you did a USB Boot Recovery that could have messed it up again.
Message 42 of 57
SamirD
Prodigy

If you have a new/unused drive I would remove the 2x that are in there and reset the netgear and use the new/unused drive and see if that work.  If so, then it's not the unit, but something in the configuration on the set of 2x drives.

Message 43 of 57
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:
Copying the VPD from one unit to another is not the recommended way to try to fix this problem.

@Fandango2022: You could ask the mods ( @Marc_V or @JeraldM ) to fix it for you.  That is something they can do remotely.

Message 44 of 57
Fandango2022
Apprentice

Hi @mdgm, No I did not perform any further USB recoveries after the VPD file copy.     Frontview didn't change in any manner after the VPD file copy.

Message 45 of 57
Fandango2022
Apprentice

Hi @SamirD ,

The unit has two drive sin now, but originally it only had one  completely wiped drive, which was used to perform a factory reset via the front panel.  When it did not work with that drive, I removed it and added  another new drive in case that was the issue, doing the same factory reset.  I then added a second to see if there was any change there, but not.

Message 46 of 57
Fandango2022
Apprentice

Hi @StephenB, yes, those two users were linked in at the beginning of these posts but have not had any contact.    Probably fed up with guys like me messing about with their NAS boxes and breaking them!

Message 47 of 57
SamirD
Prodigy

Gotcha.  Yeah, it seems you've vetted drives for sure.

Message 48 of 57
StephenB
Guru

@Fandango2022 wrote:

Hi @StephenB, yes, those two users were linked in at the beginning of these posts but have not had any contact.    

Try PMing them (using the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum).

Message 49 of 57
Fandango2022
Apprentice

@StephenB , ok thanks.  I will do that after Christmas  to see If they can help further.

Message 50 of 57
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 56 replies
  • 20 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements