× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 2100 dead motherboard

DaVa
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 2100 dead motherboard

Hello, I am facing problem with ReadyNAS 2100. I thought problem is faulty PSU (no sign of life at all) so I  replaced PSU with normal ATX one for test and then I even tried another flex PSU. Orange led on motherboard is on, but device wont start. So I would call it dead and move on with 2120 but, I need to recover 5,5TB data from 4x2TB raid 5 setup. Netgear support said that there is no way doing it directly in 2120, so I am asking if somebody has faced same problem.

Thanks in advance.

David

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 2100 dead motherboard

There is an OS partition mirrored across all the disks which has all that stuff.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DaVa,

Welcome to the community!

It's possible that you can access your data via the RN2120 but it will go through a data recovery process that will cost you money. From there, you'd be able to back everything up and set it up all over again. Take note that 2100 is a legacy x86 and the RN2120 is ARM, they have difference in architecture and they're not directly compatible with each other. By the way, is your 2100 out of warranty?

Let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 10
StephenB
Guru

If you have an x86 linux system with enough SATA or USB ports you can mount your existing raid array there. Then copy off the data.

I'd suggest an RN3130 (the RN2120 is arm based, and you might find its performance disappointing).

Message 3 of 10
DaVa
Aspirant

Hello,

Thanks for answers.

I managed to fix motherboard, changing blown MOSFET, so  now Readynas is starting, but during repair I had to takeout battery from Motherboard  (which made configuration reset I guess?) and I am afraid to put disks back in. Will NAS initialize disks and erase array or it will boot normaly from system installed on array, are you able to help me please ? 

Thanks in advance

David

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

It should just boot off the array (I think the battery mainly keeps the real time clock running).

If you are concerned, just put in a scratch disk first (by itself).  The NAS should install to it of course.  Then shutdown, and replace the scratch with your array.

Message 5 of 10
DaVa
Aspirant

This sounds reasonable, but where the array settings is stored ?

Regards

David

Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

There is an OS partition mirrored across all the disks which has all that stuff.

Message 7 of 10
DaVa
Aspirant

Hello, 

yesterday I finally tested cloned drives. Drives booted up normally and array was accessible. So I just swapped to original drives.

PS: I´d like to know is why I was not able to clone drives using Acronis (I tried true image,disc director) it refused to clone with like 5 uknown errors and one saying there is not enough space. So Clonezilla did work for me.

Anyway thank you for your advices it really helped me.

Regards 

David

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@DaVa wrote:

PS: I´d like to know is why I was not able to clone drives using Acronis (I tried true image,disc director) it refused to clone with like 5 uknown errors and one saying there is not enough space.

I haven't used Acronis for this myself.  Did you choose "backup sector by sector"?  https://kb.acronis.com/content/1543

Message 9 of 10
DaVa
Aspirant

I was not even able to select destination disc to proceed clone,  and I am afraid that Acronis does not allow to clone sector by sector, only backup sector by sector which was pointless.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements