× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 212 drops second drive

ifubesi
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 212 drops second drive

I've got a ReadyNAS 212 with a couple of WD Red 4tb drives in it.  If you even look at this thing sideways, it will act like the second drive is not there.  It takes several restarts and reseating of the drive before you get lucky and it starts resyncing that drive.  Anytime I get a blip in power, I have to go through this dance again.  I don't see anything odd in the logs.  

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 212 drops second drive

@ifubesi wrote:

Anytime I get a blip in power, I have to go through this dance again.

One thought is to get a UPS

@ifubesi wrote:

I don't see anything odd in the logs.  

You might try using smartctl -x via ssh.  Maybe also try running the disk test from the volume settings tab.

@ifubesi wrote:

I've got a ReadyNAS 212 with a couple of WD Red 4tb drives in it.  If you even look at this thing sideways, it will act like the second drive is not there.

FWIW, I haven't seen this issue with my own RN202 - though it is running two jbod volumes,and not RAID-1.  Currently a 14 TB Exos disk and a 14 TB WD Red Plus are installed.

Message 2 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

One possibility is that the power supply is weak, but it could be an issue with one of the internal voltage regulators.  I have an older Pro2 that can only handle one drive reliably.  Unfortunately, a replacement supply (even a more powerful one) is no help with it.  But it could be worth trying another power brick.

Message 3 of 5
ifubesi
Aspirant

Appreciate everbody's feedback and suggestions.  Got it working again.  Here are the steps:

1) Hot-reseat drive #2

2) Repeat

3) Shut down

4) Restart

5) Repeat #1

6) Repeat #4

7) Repeat steps 1 - 6 ~ eight or nine times

8 ) Shut down

9) Remove drive #2

10) Restart

11) Reseat drive #2

12) Mutter various rude things under my breath

13) Repeat #12

14) Restart

15) Hooray, it sees the drive and resyncing has started.  🙂

16) Enjoy wee dram...

After that resync completes, I run a drive check on drive #2.  BTW it does have the correct 60W power supply.

Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

But does the supply actually provide 60W?  When I said the supply might not be providing sufficient power, I meant that it was doing so because it is failing.  I frankly think that your problem likely is not fixed, and you might not be so lucky as to have a recoverable volume the next time something happens.  So make sure you keep a current backup.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements