× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 212 giving "Failed - Virus scan filed" message when downloading files from Internet

GuyWh
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 212 giving "Failed - Virus scan filed" message when downloading files from Internet

For some reason, my ReadyNAS 212 has started failing any downloads from the Internet. I'm using the latest Google Chrome, fully patched and updated Win10 and the firmware on the ReadyNAS is also up to date. This started 2 days ago and I've rebooted everything to no avail.

I can download the same files to my primary drive and then copy them across without a problem - it's just the downloads directly to the ReadyNAS that fail (all of them).

I use Kaspersky Total Security as my primary AV system and also have MalwareBytes as a secondary one (whether this is on or off makes no difference, in case there was some sort of clash).

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this and possible fixes?

Many thanks!

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 212 giving "Failed - Virus scan filed" message when downloading files from In

@GuyWh wrote:

For some reason, my ReadyNAS 212 has started failing any downloads from the Internet.

How are you downloading them?

Are you using ReadyDLNA or something else?

Message 2 of 11
GuyWh
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS 212 giving "Failed - Virus scan filed" message when downloading files from In

Thanks, Stephen. Downloading in various ways directly from Chrome (a couple of plugins for Vimeo, Facebook videos, and separate site/page I use for YouTube ones). These are for mp4 files in the main as I'm downloading course material for offline viewing (and later review). But other files fail, too, when saving to the ReadyNAS.  I've not changed my environment and all was working fine until a couple of days ago. So not sure what would have changed (maybe a Win10 update, or a Kaspersky one, or some other update).

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@GuyWh wrote:

Thanks, Stephen. Downloading in various ways directly from Chrome (a couple of plugins for Vimeo, Facebook videos, and separate site/page I use for YouTube ones). 

So you are running Chrome on the PC, and saving the file to a NAS folder?

That means the folder is mapped to a NAS drive letter, correct?

Message 4 of 11
junkyjunky
Aspirant

I can't seem to figure this out either. It definitely is a Kaspersky issue.  I can download files onto my local drive no problem, but I always get the download failed - Virus Scan Failed error when I download to my NAS drive with Kaspersky turned on. If I pause Kaspersky, it will download to the shared NAS location no problem.

Message 5 of 11
junkyjunky
Aspirant

Nevermind, this is a lie.  I just tried moving my download directory to a local drive and it still failed.  However, when I click on a file and choose "Save link as" it works fine regardless of Kaspersky's status.

Message 6 of 11
GuyWh
Aspirant

Yes - sorry for the delay, Stephen, I was travelling for a few days. I map my NAS to a drive letter. It's been working fine until a few days ago, as I mentioned, and I can copy the files directly to the drive if I download to somewhere else (e.g. downloads folder, desktop, etc).

Message 7 of 11
GuyWh
Aspirant

Strange (sorry for teh delay, but I was travelling for a few days). I can save the file anywhere except to the NAS drive without a problem and can then copy it with no problems. I haven't tried switching Kasperky off for the download so will try that when doing another file and let you know the results.

Message 8 of 11
GuyWh
Aspirant

OK, it DOES seem like there's something in Kaspersky Total Security (latest version / update) that's blocking it. When I pause protection it downloads OK.  I've fired off a query to Kasperky and will post here once I get a response.

Message 9 of 11
GuyWh
Aspirant

Still waiting for a comprehensive solution from Kaspersky. It is definitely the File Anti-Virus module as when I turn that off, the downloads work. Alternatively I just pause protection for a few minutes when downloading a file.

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@GuyWh wrote:

Still waiting for a comprehensive solution from Kaspersky. It is definitely the File Anti-Virus module as when I turn that off, the downloads work. Alternatively I just pause protection for a few minutes when downloading a file.

Thx for following up.  Clearly there's nothing that can be done in the ReadyNAS, so it's up to Kaspersky.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements