× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 212

Fbfrank
Tutor

ReadyNAS 212

This is a pre-purchase question.

I want to expand the storage of my three TIVO units. All my TIVO units are networked with ethernet. TIVO tech support recommends readyNAS over Westeran Digital external drives.  Normal operation with TIVO and a WD external drive is that when I record a show, the TIVO software automatically determines where to store the show between the TIVO internal drive and the external drive, without any action from me. 

Here is my question: When I install a ReadyNAS unit, will the show recording be the same as the external drive in that the TIVO software and now the NAS software will store the show automatically with no action on my part? 

Thanks for your help.

Model: RN21241D|ReadyNAS 2120 1U 4- Bay 4x1TB Desktop Drive
Message 1 of 6
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Fbfrank,

Welcome to the Community!

You have to enable this option first on the ReadyNAS so you can use it to store videos and media recorded on your Tivo box. You may check this link on how you can enable it.

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
Fbfrank
Tutor

Thank you for your quick response.  I am confused about step number 9 on the link you provided.  Going back to my original question, does the show I am recording go to the ReadyNAS get stored immediately, or is the complete show stored on the TIVO unit and then moved to the NAS at some schedualed time in the future?  Why do I need to "schedual" the storage?

@JohnCM_S wrote:

Hi Fbfrank,

Welcome to the Community!

You have to enable this option first on the ReadyNAS so you can use it to store videos and media recorded on your Tivo box. You may check this link on how you can enable it.

Regards,

Message 3 of 6
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Fbfrank,

The complete show will be stored first on the TiVo then the ReadyNAS will download the data from your TiVo according to the schedule that you specify.

Regards,

Message 4 of 6
Fbfrank
Tutor

I have a few more questions and then I think I will totally understand the process.

After the show is copied to the NAS on my schedule, does the original show on the TIVO get automatically deleted, or do I now have two copies of the same show and I have to delete the original show off the TIVO myself?  I am assuming that the TIVO can run the show stored on the NAS without copying it back to the TIVO.  Is my assumption correct?

Message 5 of 6
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Fbfrank,

The ReadyNAS will only download the data from the TiVo there is no option on it where it can automatically delete the data after it is copied. I am not sure if there is any option on the TiVo software that will automatically delete the data after it is copied. You may check on that as well.

The TiVo should be able to stream the shows that is saved on the NAS without copying it to the TiVo.

Regards,

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements