× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 2120 V2 Disk Failure - Can't see new drive?

INHP_GUYK
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 2120 V2 Disk Failure - Can't see new drive?

Hi Guys, so we are running a RN2120 V2 with 6.10.5 firmware.

Raid 5 with 4 x 3TB Disks.

So after a power outage it looks like disk 3 has failed. it hasn't said any errors in log that the drive has failed but just doesn't show and that the volume is degraded.

Raid1.JPG

Lucky we backup everything and being Raid 5 everyone in the office is still working.

So we checked the disk compatibility and purchased a new SG 4TB drive(knowing I would only get the 3TB /no expansion) and hot swapped disk 3 for the new drive.

After inserting the new drive i get the same view as the screenshot above.

doesn't show any new disk installed nor any resyncing, just that the volume is still degraded.

I surpose my questions are 

1. Is it possible its syncing the new drive in the background and just not showing any notifications of status?

2. Could the power outage have caused something more sinister to happen inside the ReadyNas to stop any new drive from being installed and i'm up for a new NAS?

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Guy

Model: RN2120|ReadyNAS 2120 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

It is possible that the disk failure resulted in the driver setting the SATA port to down.  So try powering off the NAS and removing the power (so it is completely off) for a few minutes, and then power it up again.  FWIW, this happened to me once with a Pro-6 (though it was running 4.2.x firmware at the time).

It's also possible that the power surge caused the SATA port to fail, in which case you'll have to live with a 3-bay NAS (unless it is still under warranty).  Though I haven't seen that very often.

Message 2 of 4
INHP_GUYK
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

thanks for the reply, tried the power unplug as per your suggestion which unfortunatly did not work, I think I have come to the conclusion the port is dead. Time for a new Nas

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

It is possible you just got a bad new drive.  It happens.  Do you have a way to test it using a PC and vendor tools?  Another option would be to remove all the drives, marking their proper slot so you can return them there, and then trying the new drive alone in slot 1.  If it works there, then it's not the drive and the conclusion that the slot is bad is probably correct.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements