× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 214 Delete deleted files during backup

stardust1234
Follower

ReadyNAS 214 Delete deleted files during backup

I have 5000+ files in my NAS and have setup a backup to my local USB external hard drive.  I want to know how to configure the backup to delete all deleted files to save space.  I only perform backup every 6+ month and no way I can keep track of my deleted files during the 6+ month period.  Besides, I don't want to do a full backup every time. I am talking about 10 TB data and a full backup is too much for me.  I wish there is some solution in ReadyNAS to solve this issue.

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 214 Delete deleted files during backup

@stardust1234 wrote:

I wish there is some solution in ReadyNAS to solve this issue.

There is.  You can set up the backup job to use rsync, making the source "remote".  Use IP address 127.0.0.1 for the source.  Rsync has an advanced option to delete files in the backup that are no longer on the source.

There is a bug that relates to "push" backups of the entire NAS using rsync.  The backup above is "pull" so you shouldn't run into it.  But that also won't let you back up the entire NAS in one backup job - you'll need a backup job for each share.  These can be chained so that one press of the backup button will run them all in succession.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 214 Delete deleted files during backup

@stardust1234 wrote:

I wish there is some solution in ReadyNAS to solve this issue.

There is.  You can set up the backup job to use rsync, making the source "remote".  Use IP address 127.0.0.1 for the source.  Rsync has an advanced option to delete files in the backup that are no longer on the source.

There is a bug that relates to "push" backups of the entire NAS using rsync.  The backup above is "pull" so you shouldn't run into it.  But that also won't let you back up the entire NAS in one backup job - you'll need a backup job for each share.  These can be chained so that one press of the backup button will run them all in succession.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements