× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 214 for small business

DavidStab
Follower

ReadyNAS 214 for small business

Hello all,

I'm sorry if this sounds lame, but I couldn't find the information anywhere else.

I work at a small company with around 10 people. We have an old file server and I intend to replace it with a NETGEAR ReadyNAS 214, 4x2TB Desktop. I'm planning on purchasing the version that comes with 3TB (not the diskless).

A couple of questions:

1) I know it is not the ideal solution, but do you think this device would work fairly well for 10 to 15 workstations (20 tops)? The files people access are mainly MS Office files. 

2) How much management does the solution demand in average, once it is up and running?

Thank you very much,

David.

Model: RN214D42|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 214 for small business

Netgear's datasheet says 1-8 users for the RN200 series, so you are pushing the limits.

An RN420 series would be a better choice (and it also has a longer warranty and 24x7 business support is available).  Since your storage needs are fairly modest, you could go with a 2-bay model (with larger disks) to reduce the cost.  Also, I've found that diskless is generally less expensive, so perhaps consider that.

On the management side, that depends on the details of what you need.  Maybe you could outline that (for instance, do you use active directory now, would each user need a private filespace on the NAS, would you need remote access, etc).

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements