× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 312 cannot be mapped from Windows 7 Machine

WildfireTech
Guide

ReadyNAS 312 cannot be mapped from Windows 7 Machine

Howdy all. I've got a ReadyNAS that I can map drives to from my MAC but not from my wife's Windows 7 machine(s).  Yes, SMB is enabled, Yes, she has her own user account.  From my MAC I can attach as her to the NAS and everything works, but when she tries to map a drive from her Windows 7 system(s) she gets multiple password prompts then a "it didn't work" sort of error.  Why can she not simply attach to the NAS and see the shares that are presented for her?

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2-Bay
Message 1 of 4
WildfireTech
Guide

Re: ReadyNAS 312 cannot be mapped from Windows 7 Machine

Update:  She CAN map to shares OTHER than the Home Directory Share, so I'm betting there is some "eccentricity" regarding the home folders and Windows 7.  Anyone?

Message 2 of 4
WildfireTech
Guide

I think we figured it out:  The \\nas\home\user path is shared as \\nas\user to SMB and therefore isn't browsable at \\nas\home (where we were trying to connect).

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@WildfireTech wrote:

The \\nas\home\user path is shared as \\nas\user to SMB and therefore isn't browsable at \\nas\home (where we were trying to connect).

That is correct.  \\nas\home isn't a share.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements