× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 3130 Crashed

stevecr25
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 3130 Crashed

Hello!

Arrived at the office this morning to find my ReadyNAS 3130 powered down. After I turned it back on and logged into the web interface it started to do a rebuild of the raid array. Checked the logs to see if there were any errors reported. Last entry was this morning at 05:59:00: "System: Antivirus scanner definition file has been updated to '201512100841'."

Checked the performance logs but the only data availabe is from the point I restarted the NAS. The history is gone... 

I've had this NAS up and running for about 6 months without any issues. Not sure if the unit crashed, had some sort of power interuption, or someone turned it off.

There's no log data to look back on with any clue....

Anyone else experience anything like this?

System Specs:

ReadyNAS 3130

Firmware 6.2.4

4 2TB Drives

RAID 5 using X-RAID

Thanks!

-Steve

Message 1 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 3130 Crashed

Hello stevecr25,

Welcome to the community!

Can you PM me the logs please?

Regards,

Message 2 of 9
stevecr25
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response! Sending them now....

Message 3 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi stevecr25,

I see nothing unusual in the logs.

Perhaps try disabling the antivirus, backup the files (we always strongly recommend doing this) and update the firmware to the latest may help.

Regards,

Message 4 of 9
stevecr25
Aspirant

I couldn't find anything either... But the fact that is was powered down and had to rebuild the volume after I turned it back on doesn't give me much confidence.

It's been reliable up to this point...

Is this something that you have seen in the past? Would hate to have it crash again and lose the data stored on the volume.

Message 5 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello stevecr25,

I suggest you configure the email alerts so in case it crashed again, you have something to submit to higher tier of L3 when you call support.

Also, backup the data.

Regards,

Message 6 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If a system crashes or is powered off unsafely a resync is often done as a precaution to make sure the disks are properly in sync.

As JennC mentioned backups are important.

Don't store important data on just the one device. If you primarily store important data on your NAS then you need to backup that data. There are problems that RAID cannot protect you against. RAID is very useful, but it is not an alternative to backing up your data.

Message 7 of 9
stevecr25
Aspirant

Thanks for your help with this... Still not sure what caused the NAS to shtudown. Obviously something went wrong and caused the system to shutdown and rebuild the volume.

Jenn, email notifications are enabled and working. No notifications were sent when this occured.

Agreed, backups are important regardless of how and where the data is stored. Backups are in place...

Thanks again for your time!

-Steve

Message 8 of 9
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi stevecr25,

Thanks for your feedback and we apologize but the logs doesn't say anything on what happened. Anyway, you may now tag this thread resolved by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button in one of the responses you received.

Should you have any questions, just let us know.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements