× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 314 (6.5.1) not bootable

brokenbrick
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 314 (6.5.1) not bootable

Greetings,

I am having issues getting my ReadyNAS 314 to boot. When booting normally it freezes at "systemd-journalid." Prior to this I did not update the firmware recently and the system was running and the shares were accessible, althought Frontview was not working. I performed a memory test and volume check already both were fine. So far I have tried to following:

OS Reinstall, which fails and returns to normal boot where it hangs.

USB Recovery. I used two different USB thumb drives but the process hangs at the status "Boot from external USB" and never goes further. I left it for about 20 minutes or so as described in the tutorial (https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system) but nothing seems to ever happen.

I am able to boot into the tech support mode and from here I can ping the system and it responds to telnet connection requests. I prefer not to do a complete factory reset so if there is some way I can resolve this using telnet or the USB recovery I would prefer that. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I made my USB recovery stick from a Linux Mint machine using Wine in Win7 compatibility. I formatted the stick as FAT32 with an msdos MBR.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 314 (6.5.1) not bootable

The USB key needs to have the syslinux boot loader on it.

It needs to be using MBR with a single FAT32 partition on it.

Message 2 of 8
brokenbrick
Aspirant

@mdgm wrote:

The USB key needs to have the syslinux boot loader on it.

It needs to be using MBR with a single FAT32 partition on it.

Yes, I used the usbrecovery.exe tool to create it so it has all the necessary files.It is a single FAT32 partition with an msdos MBR.

I tried it again with the only other flash drive I could find and it goes from USB recovery to booting (assuming from the USB), then it says "failed to startup" and goes back to booting. When I check status it is stuck at the same place "systemd-journalid"

Message 3 of 8
brokenbrick
Aspirant

UPDATE: I tried the USB recovery procedure from Windows 10 using Rufus and had the same result as before.

Message 4 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I've sent you a PM.

Message 5 of 8
mickalford
Aspirant

I have the same issue, have a fat32 USB stick, creted the img file as per instructions at how do I use my recovery tool on my readyNAS 6 storage system, won't go past te flashing "booting from external usb_" 

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 6 of 8
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mickalford

As for the USB boot recovery we do recommend to try different USB drive since the USB boot recovery mode is very picky about the USB you use. For guide for USB boot recovery please go here.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 8
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mickalford

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,
Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements