× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 314 Inaccessible from domain controllers

Bent82
Guide

ReadyNAS 314 Inaccessible from domain controllers

My ReadyNAS had been working great up until about a week after I updated to 6.5.1.  Then one day I was unable to access my home share, in the logs I was getting some errors about domain membership.  I removed it from the domain and couldn't get it to rejoin, so I decided to factory default it and restore from backup.  Even after doing this, I was unable to rejoin the domain.  I finally got it to rejoin by checking the "Include Trusted Domains" checkbox, which I never had to check before, all my other servers and workstations seem to work with this now. Except for my two domain controllers, they both say they are unable to speak to the ReadyNAS at all, if I attempt to go to \\ReadyNAS\, it will eventually just time out and say "Windows cannot access \\readynas", error code 0x80070035.  I can ping the readynas from the domain controllers just fine.  Any ideas?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Bent82
Guide

Well I figured out my issue.  For some reason my DNS servers for eth0 were also set on eth1, which would then create a route for them using eth1, which is using a different network than my main one.  The DNS servers are also my domain controllers, so this meant no access on the domain controllers at all.  Just a bit of stupidity on my part, but I also got around to finally vlan-ing that switch like I had been intending to do, so I guess all is not lost.  Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 8
Bent82
Guide

Logs sent.  I actually notice it is saying failure to sync ADS now, I guess I didn't look before I made this post.

Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The logs suggesting checking the network and the interfaces show a lot of dropped packets.

You should start by eliminating possible network issues. You could try changing ethernet cables, using a different port on the switch etc.

Message 4 of 8
Bent82
Guide

I think I may have a misconfiguration somewhere in the network settings for the second adapter.  I am using the second adapter only to connect to my vCenter server, which I am using as a secondary datastore.  Disconnecting this adapter has allowed AD to start syncing again, which I thought wouldn't matter.  I am going to have to play around with the settings some and see what I missed.  I am also still getting dropped packets, though I will have to check after some time to see if it is less or not.

Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

How did you go?

Message 6 of 8
Bent82
Guide

Well actually the day after I posted the last messsage I went on vacation, and I haven't got a chance to work on it since I got back.  But I left the second adapter disconnected, and I haven't had any more AD sync issues.  It is strange, this had been a working setup before, but at this point I am willing to admit that my issue was entirely because of an incorrect setup.  If I get a chance in the next week or so to work on it, I will update this thread.

Message 7 of 8
Bent82
Guide

Well I figured out my issue.  For some reason my DNS servers for eth0 were also set on eth1, which would then create a route for them using eth1, which is using a different network than my main one.  The DNS servers are also my domain controllers, so this meant no access on the domain controllers at all.  Just a bit of stupidity on my part, but I also got around to finally vlan-ing that switch like I had been intending to do, so I guess all is not lost.  Thanks for your help.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements