× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 314 (RN314) Randomly Freezes (Lockup) - Kernel Panic #26382361 #26391162

crossr1
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 314 (RN314) Randomly Freezes (Lockup) - Kernel Panic #26382361 #26391162

Hello,

VERY FRUSTRATED!!!

Model: RN31400

F/W: 6.4.0

Home Office environment running Windows 7 Desktop, MAC OS X, Android Tablet, 2 x Apple Ipads, Windows 7 Laptop and more

I purchased a ReadyNAS 314 on 1/26/2016. It had firmware 6.4.0 on it when it arrived. When I logged into the Admin Panel, it said that a new version of Firmware is available. Would I like to load it? So, naturally I did. After the reboot, I received several erroneous errors on the LCD Display. Then things went downhill. I soon received a "Memory Error". I was about ready to send the unit back when I decided to use my Unix experience to perform some research. I discovered that I could build a "Recovery USB Memory Stick". Using the "Recovery USB Memory Stick", I was able to get 6.4.0 re-installed on the RN314.

At this point, it seemed to be working fine. While I was re-configuring the system from X-RAID to several mirrored volumes for better performance, the system just started randomly locking up. Once I remember that it had an HDMI port in the ReadyNAS, I connected my TV set to the device. I found that I could monitor the device through the HDMI port. I discovered that the device was randomly performing a Kernel Panic on a Non-Maskable Interrupt (NMI). So, I performed some more research on Netgear's Forum. I discovered that the most sable version of the ReadyNAS firmware seemed to be 6.1.9. Therefore, I loaded it last night. I was FINALLY able to get the X-RAID from the "Factory Reset" to complete its build. Today, I started to backup the data on my Seagate BlackArmor. It ran for about 2 hours and performed another Kernel Panic. At this time, I upgraded the firmware back to 6.4.0. I started another backup from my Seagate for the 3rd time now as a test to see if I can figure this problem out. For diagnostic purposes, I have tried the following:

• Firmware: 6.1.9, 6.2.2 (sticker on back), 6.4.0 (three times), 6.4.1 (twice)
  • Memory Test thru Boot Menu
  • Disk Test thru Boot Menu
  • OS Reinstall thru Boot Menu
  • Logged on thru the Console using a USB Keyboard, Mouse, and HDMI Monitor (to examine the logs files on the system, run top, and monitor crashes)
  • Logged on thru SSH to monitor the system to run top
  • RAIDar (v6.1):
  • -  No Error Messages
  • -  Captured Log Files

The system just crashed again while I was typing these comments! Message on HDMI Monitor states:

Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt

Why am I still trying to get this device working????

- It has the exact configuration for my requirements

- I strongly feel that this is a software / firmware issue rather than a hardware issue

My current status:

VERY UPSET:

-> I see many posts on the NETGEAR Forums that people are having Lock-Up issues with ReadyNAS 6.2.0+++ (especially lock-ups - freezes)

-> This device was purchased 24 July 2015 by someone else, I purchased it as an OpenBox,

and the website states, "Your product is covered* under hardware warranty until Jul 22, 2020".

When I called Netgear last night, Philippine technical support told me that Netgear will NOT honor the warranty!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the NETGEAR Website (ask if you want the PDF printouts that I have):

Contact NETGEAR Support
Thanks! We’re ready to help you with this product:
Product Model : RN31400
Serial Number : <REMOVED BY MODERATOR>
Purchase Date : 24Jul2015

Hardware Replacement :
Your product is covered* under hardware warranty until Jul 22, 2020.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If NETGEAR is unable to help get this RN314 fully operational within the next 2 days, I am returning it! And, then, I'll

never purchase another NETGEAR device again! And, as an IT professional, I will let my employers and friends know

about this!

FYI - I was leaning toward the purchase of QNAP TS-451+. Now, I wished I had.

I hope someone at NETGEAR can help me with this problem.

Sincerely,

Richard Cross

Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 314 (RN314) Randomly Freezes (Lockup) - Kernel Panic #26382361 #26391162

The warranty is for the original purchaser only.

Looking at the case for the original purchaser it sounds like this unit was returned as DOA with the same problem. You should see if you can return it to the seller and purchase a new unit.

Message 2 of 6
crossr1
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS 314 (RN314) Randomly Freezes (Lockup) - Kernel Panic #26382361 #26391162

You guys must build cheap and unreliable junk!!! Then, when it is returned, rather than fixing it, you sell it back on the market to unsuspecting customers.

With the problems that NETGEAR is having with their FIRMWARE, I am taking my business elsewhere FOREVER!!!!

See ya, wouldn't want to be ya, and I wouldn't want to be employed by ya

Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When a unit is returned to a reseller if they choose to resell it that's their decision, not ours.

It is unsual for a unit to be DOA. You would find that a new RN314 unit would work much better.

Message 4 of 6
crossr1
Aspirant

I WILL NEVER PURCHASE AN ITEM FROM A VENDOR THAT DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT!!! IT DOES NOT MATTER WHETHER IT IS OPENBOX OR NOT!!!

The fact of the matter is; If it is a Reliable Product, it don't matter who owns it!!! It will stand the test of time!!! 

You guys are a bunch of FOOLS! You think americans are this STUPID!!! 

1) NETGEAR Does NOT back their products as stated!

2) Tech support is overseas!!! Overseas Tech Support dont have a CLUE on how to perform proper technical support!!! It's a LOT different in AMERICA!!!

Its only a matter of time! And, I will be laughing all the way!!!

Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We do stand behind our product. The warranty is for the original purchaser when purchasing from an authorised reseller. This is a standard warranty condition that competitors such as QNAP also have for their products. If you had bought a open box product from them and ran into issues you would have been told to return it to the reseller by them as well.

When you made contact it was handled by L1. This is normal for an Out of Warranty product regardless of model.

I can see from the case notes that it was explained to you that as it is a second hand product it is out of warranty.

Wherever the agent was located they would have told you the same thing. The location of the agent made no difference to your case. Furthermore our competitors also have some overseas based support.

If we assigned our U.S. based support agents to screen e.g. Out of Warranty calls we would need to charge a lot more for our products rendering us uncompetitive against competitors who use overseas based support for such calls.

If the unit was under warranty then the case would have been escalated to a higher level for troubleshooting.

Btw we are a U.S. based company whereas QNAP is based in Taiwan.

If you like you can send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig), but from your description of the problem and looking at the case notes it does sound like there is most likely a hardware issue with the unit you purchased.

Did the unit come with disks pre-installed or did you supply your own?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements