× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 314 backup to a ReadyNAS 104recommendation

MWilliams4
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 314 backup to a ReadyNAS 104recommendation

I have a share on a 314 that is 1.7 TB. I started a web backup to my 104 that is in another city.

I's been backing up for a couple of days and is at 740GB  share size on the 104.

I was thinking about actually taking the 104 and connecting it via the 2nd NIC of each unit and finishing the backup.

Then when the backups are done only incrementals will be coming over the web.

Will stopping the current backup and then starting up when it's local cause any issues?

Will I have to start all over?

When I put the 104 back to it's remote location will it backup properly with the locally created set?

Is there a better soultion for this setup?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay, RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, doing the initial backup locally and then moving the NAS remote can save lots of time.  There should be no issue if you abort the current backup and re-start with a local connection.  Using the secondary LAN port probably doesn't buy you much, but will work as long as you assign static IP addresses to both units in the same subnet.

Message 2 of 5
MWilliams4
Aspirant

So the NIC wouldn't be much faster than the USB 3.0 connection?

what about the esata port?

I can do any of the three, but just want the fastest.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@MWilliams4 wrote:

I can do any of the three

No you can't.  You can copy data to an external hard drive using USB 3 or eSata.  But the only way to transfer data to a ReadyNAS (e.g. the RN104) is to use the NIC.

The speed for a local backup is limited by the RN104's CPU, not the network.  It's not fast enough to saturate a gigabit ethernet connection.  Though it is saturating the internet link between the two locations - so it will go faster if you do the initial backup with the two NAS co-located.  But using the second network connection won't improve the speed - so don't attempt to do that.

If you use incremental rsync (whic is the best choice for NAS->NAS), you'll find that the initial backup will be fairly slow, but updating the backup will be quite fast.  

Message 4 of 5
MWilliams4
Aspirant

Thanks for that bit of info, so I guess what was mean't before was direct NIC vs network NIC makes little difference.

I get it now...it makes sense.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements