× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 314 hard drive tray

matt1
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 314 hard drive tray

Hello! I have a ReadyNAS RN314 storage device. I am trying to swap out the 4TB drives for 8TB. I have one problem though. The clips in the hard drive trays do not match the hole positioning on the new hard drives. The 4TB have a hole at the end on the socket side of the and a hole in the middle. However the new 8TB drives have the holes on either far end. So I can't get the clips to secure in since there is no middle hole on the drives. Is it possible to get trays/clips that match these drives? Or can someone recommend a work-around? Thanks!

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS 314 hard drive tray

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You need to remove the plastic mounting brackets from the disk tray and then screw the drive to the bottom.  The needed screws should have been shipped with your NAS, so hopefully you have still them.

It is likely that only one pair of mount points on the bottom of the drives will align with the holes in the disk tray.  But that is enough to secure the drive.

Message 2 of 8
matt1
Aspirant

I am sure I don't have the screws anymore. I can surely buy extras though. Do you by chance know the screw size/type/spec?

Message 3 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

The best source for screws is to use ones designed for Supermicro servers with 3.5" drives.  You can buy a bag of 100 from Amazon, as well as others.

You will be unable to find appropriate screws in a hardware store.  The pitch on the countersink is much more shallow than standard and using anything else will prevent the tray from being mounted.

Message 4 of 8
matt1
Aspirant

I bought these thinking they were right:

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9B-16-101-804&utm_medium=TraEmail&utm_sourc...

Should I be good with those?

Message 5 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

That's them.

Message 6 of 8
matt1
Aspirant

Thanks! Is there an article I can see that shows how to pull those plastic liners out and remove them from the tray? I examined mine and can find any tabs to push that release it from the tray entirely.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@matt1 wrote:

Thanks! Is there an article I can see that shows how to pull those plastic liners out and remove them from the tray? I examined mine and can find any tabs to push that release it from the tray entirely.

This gives you what you need.  Once the plastic mount is released, you just pull it out of the back of the tray.  Save it! - future disks you use might be able to use it.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements