× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 314 lack of disk space

mdelude
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 314 lack of disk space

Hello, we have a ReadyNAS 314 that was recently updated to firmware 6.5.0. Ever since the update the device will intermittently start to behave as though it's out of disk space. The device's dashboard shows that it has over 4 TB free. Restarting the device resolves this for a few hours or a day. We do not use any snapshotting but we do use the ReadyNAS Replicate service to replicate shares to another 314 unit. The replication process seems to create snapshots temporarily and the logs indicate they are successfully removed afterward.

I've disabled the disk spin-down setting thinking it's failing to spin-up after idling but that didn't make any difference. Any other suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike D.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 314 lack of disk space

Can you describe the symptoms?

Message 2 of 10
mdelude
Aspirant

Attempting to save anything to the device will fail. The device is mostly often used a repository for scanning, so the most common symptom is that a scanned item is simply not available. Our scanners don't give any specific reason for the failure. Existing items may still be accessed, as least for viewing.

When I browse a share through the admin web interface and try to drag and drop files I receive an error message about lack of disk space. I didn't think to save the exact wording and can't reproduce it because the device is working properly at the moment.

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

It might be the OS partition that is out of space.

If you have support (most RN314 owners do have free lifetime chat support), you can contact Netgear.

Or you could enable ssh, and check for fullness with 

df . -i

df . -h

If you haven't done this before, you log into the NAS using putty (windows) or terminal (mac).  You use "root" as the username with the NAS admin password.

Message 4 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The RN314 uses BTRFS for the 4GB root volume so checking for inode usage (# df -i ) is pointless.

What does the top of your BTRFS.log look like?

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

The RN314 uses BTRFS for the 4GB root volume so checking for inode usage (# df -i ) is pointless.

Good point.

Message 6 of 10
mdelude
Aspirant

Here's the beginning of the btrfs.

Label: '2fe6104c:root'  uuid: 4febecbe-a5ee-4122-964e-ecb17104f17f
	Total devices 1 FS bytes used 448.42MiB
	devid    1 size 4.00GiB used 4.00GiB path /dev/md0

Label: '2fe6104c:data'  uuid: a860d280-88a2-4ab3-989a-389c5323fcbd
	Total devices 1 FS bytes used 1.38TiB
	devid    1 size 5.44TiB used 1.43TiB path /dev/md127

=== filesystem /data ===
Data, single: total=1.42TiB, used=1.37TiB
System, DUP: total=8.00MiB, used=192.00KiB
System, single: total=4.00MiB, used=0.00B
Metadata, DUP: total=5.50GiB, used=3.27GiB
Metadata, single: total=8.00MiB, used=0.00B
GlobalReserve, single: total=512.00MiB, used=0.00B

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

That looks like a full OS partition.  4 GiB used of 4 GiB total.

What apps (if any) do you have installed?

Message 8 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's the space allocated. That doesn't mean the allocation is full.

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 9 of 10
mdelude
Aspirant

Thanks fellows, but while chatting with Netgear support the device took a turn for the worse. Active Directory integration failed and I ended up calling and opening a case. It was escalated to level 3 and they're handling this now. I don't yet know about the disk space issues because the integration failure is much higher priority and possibly caused the disk trouble to begin with.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements