× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 316 ATA errors during data reshaping / resync

ItsPeter
Guide

ReadyNAS 316 ATA errors during data reshaping / resync

About 36 hours ago I replaced an ST4000VN000 (4TB) with an ST8000VN0022 (8TB) in my ReadyNAS 316 (Firmware 6.9.2). 4TB drive had not failed, just a pre-emptive swap, it was 4.5 years old, and I also wanted to increase the storage.

Drive resync went fine (14 hours), a data reshape then started, I presume to expand the capacity. About 9.5 hours into that, I got ATA errors reported in bay 2, another ST8000VN0022 (disk 3 was the one I replaced, disk 1 is also 8TB, disks 4-6 are 4TB drives). The reshape finished another 9.5 hours later - so 14 hours to resync, 19 hours to reshape, a bit over 33 hours total.

Now, the disk in bay 2 has been in the unit less than a year (309 days), and I'm not convinced actually has an issue. I was trying to save an Excel document to the NAS approx the same time as the reported errors, which Excel came back with "save failed". In the logs the snapshot was also being pruned approx the same time (5 minutes earlier than the fail). Is it possible the errors were just due to load on the unit, and the disk is not bad? My gut feel tells me that might be the case - the drive in bay 2 should really not be having issues at this point (supposedly 3 year warranty on these drives).

I had similar happen replacing a drive in a ReadyNAS Ultra 6 a couple of years back - pre-emptive swap, and one of the other drives started reporting ATA errors during the resync. That drive was also just under a year old at the time. I did swap that one out after the other drive was sync'd, just to be safe.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I let the unit go for a while, and see if disk 2 degrades further (I have another 8TB disk here on standby). Or for the sake of $300 should I just not risk it, and swap out the drive? Is there anything further I can do to determine the actual health of disk 2?

Here are the actual reported errors (serial number masked out):

Detected increasing uncorrectable error count: [16] on disk 2 (Internal) [ST8000VN0022-2EL112, XXXXXXXX] 16 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

Detected increasing ATA error count: [118] on disk 2 (Internal) [ST8000VN0022-2EL112, XXXXXXXX] 6 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @ItsPeter

Welcome to the Community!

ATA errors can also be caused by the chassis not only the disk and if the ATA error is increasing then it should be taken care of the soonest.

You may want to check if it's the disk that is failing by removing it on your NAS and connecting it to your PC and use Seagate tool to test the drive. IMO, if you have any spare 8TB drive to use as replacement then that might be better but if it still causes for ATA errors then contacting Support is more advisable.

Your RN316 has 5 year Hardware warranty and if were purchased between June 1, 2014 and May 31, 2016 then Lifetime Chat Support is available for you. I would suggest logging in to my.netgear.com to create case and get Support to assist you.

Hope this helps!

Happy Holidays!

Regards

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

ATA errors can also be caused by the chassis not only the disk and if the ATA error is increasing then it should be taken care of the soonest.

Personally I'd be more concerned about the uncorrectable errors on the same drive.  If that's a new drive, I'd exchange it.

Though the ATA errors might be a side effect of the same failure that is giving you the uncorrectable errors.

Message 3 of 4
ItsPeter
Guide

Thanks for the replies. The drive is not "new", but it is still under warranty. It has been in the unit under a year, it was probably sitting here on standby up to 6 months before that (I buy a new drive every time a drive goes into the unit, so there's always an unused spare here). I doubt the NAS itself is still under any warranty, but I'll check the purchase dates.

Sounds like no one has any insight into this scenario specifically (other than the drive might just in fact be bad), so I've decided to let it go for a bit as an experiment (all the data is mirrored to another NAS as well, so worst case I've just got to rebuild this one if it all goes pear shaped).

I suspect the drive is not bad, and the errors were just a resync anomoly, so I'll leave it a few weeks and see if further errors show up. If nothing after a month or so, I'll pull the drive and swap it anyway, and run the diagnostic tools on it. Whatever the outcomes, I'll post them back here.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements