× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 422 backup to remote ReadyNAS external disk

SiliconVGuy
Tutor

ReadyNAS 422 backup to remote ReadyNAS external disk

RN422, running 6.9.3

My buddy in San Diego has a ReadyNAS and I have one here in Cupertino. I'd like to backup critical information on my server onto an external USB drives located at his home, and he'd like to do the same to my location. Setting up a Backup Job to use Rsynch and point at the remote ReadyCLOUD registered server seems easy enough. But, we each have 2-3TB and that first backup will be very slow if we do it at 5Mbps! We'd like to do the first backup job locally - where my USB drive is connect to my NAS. Then I'd hand off my USB drive to him to connect to his readyNAS and I'd do the same with his USB drive. Hopefully I can simply edit the Backup Job so the new destination is the drive at the remote NAS and Rsync will think a full backup isn't needed. Is this going to work? Or do we need to use a different approach?

Thanks,
Dave

Model: RN422|ReadyNAS 422 2-Bay with up to 20 TB total storage
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

NAS to NAS backups aren't done via ReadyCLOUD.

Rsync over SSH backups would require port forwarding or you could instead do Rsync backups over a VPN e.g. using a ZeroTier app.

Doing the first backup locally is a good strategy.

Message 2 of 5
SiliconVGuy
Tutor

Thanks for the quick response.

I planned to use ReadyCLOUD as the method to identify which remote server to back up to, rather than using raw IP addresses or deal with dyndns. ReadyCLOUD seemed ready made for that, but perhaps I misunderstood the purpose of ReadyCLOUD?

I can certainly use Rsync over SSH but somewhere in the ReadyNAS documentation I thought I saw that if I enable SSH access I void the warranty - so I wasn't going to do that. That seemed strange given the number of places that mention using SSH. Can you clarify?

BTW, I found two other pages helpful - 

https://kb.netgear.com/29741/How-do-I-back-up-data-between-two-ReadyNAS-OS-6-systems-using-the-backu...

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Use of ssh does NOT affect the hardware warranty.  In some cases it might affect your ability to get paid support.   https://kb.netgear.com/30068/ReadyNAS-OS-6-SSH-access-support-and-configuration-guides

Running rsync over ssh doesn't affect support, though that could be more clearly stated in the kb article above.

@SiliconVGuy wrote:

perhaps I misunderstood the purpose of ReadyCLOUD?

ReadyCloud is mostly about client remote access and controlled sharing with friends.  The older remote product included NAS <-> NAS access, but Netgear has been moving away from that.

You can use a DDNS service (noip is still free, unlike dyndns) combined with port forwarding.  Another option is to install ZeroTier on the two NAS, and use that to set up a VPN between the two devices.  That is also free. 

I don't recommend using IP addresses - the dynamic ones will change w/o notice.

Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

I second the suggestion to use ZeroTier.  It's what I use to back up important files to my brother's location in NC (I'm in FL).  It's easy to set up using the app and you only have to connect the two NASes to it -- you aren't joining your entire LAN to his.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 71 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements