× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 424 front USB port stopped working

debumitra
Tutor

ReadyNAS 424 front USB port stopped working

Hello,

I have a ReadyNAS RN424 whose front USB port stopped working. I know this because no portable disk connected to the front port is recognized by the RN424 anymore; although the same ones connected to the port at the back are instantly recognized.

The NAS is still under hardware warranty as per Netgear. But the support site won't let me open a warranty support ticket!

I know that Netgear does not sell RN424 or any other desktop NAS anymore. But they should still honor their warranty in some manner.

Would anybody know what to do under the circumstances? Any suggestions or ideas will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@debumitra wrote:

Will all these settings move to the new box simply by transferring the disks?

If yes, is this possible because these configurations or settings are saved on the disks and not in some non-volatile memory installed in the NAS enclosure?

All settings/configuration files are stored in a 4 GB OS partition that is mirrored on every disk - and the NAS boots from that partition.

So migrating is simply a matter of moving your disks to the new NAS (ideally preserving slot order) and powering it on.

The NAS does have keep the most recently installed OS image in its flash.  When you migrate, the NAS will check the OS version in the flash with what is on the disks.  If the flash is newer, it will update the firmware on the disks from the flash.  If the flash is older, then it update the flash from the disks. There are some other steps needed when the new NAS is a different model, to update the hardware configs.

Since in your case the NAS is still running, you might want to upgrade to the newest firmware (6.10.7 at the moment) before migrating.  That would eliminate the chance that the new NAS would upgrade firmware during the first boot.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@debumitra wrote:

The NAS is still under hardware warranty as per Netgear. But the support site won't let me open a warranty support ticket!

Have you tried:

1. logging into my.netgear.com
  2. navigating to your registered product list
  3. clicking on the graphic for the RN424

That should give you an option to request a hardware replacement (bottom left of the page).

Note if you haven't registered your ReadyNAS, you will need to do that.  Also upload your proof of purchase.

Message 2 of 8
debumitra
Tutor

Thank you, StephenB. Yes, following your advice I was able to open a hardware replacement case. I wasn't earlier clicking on the "image". I was clicking on the link on the far right.

Would you happen to know if Netgear will be able to replace it even if they wanted to?

I ask because I don't see ReadyNAS RN424, or any desktop ReadyNAS for that matter, being available for purchase anymore.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@debumitra wrote:

Would you happen to know if Netgear will be able to replace it even if they wanted to?

They should have set aside inventory for warranty replacements.  Not sure if the replacement would be new, it might be refurbished.

If they offer you a different model for the replacement, the RN52x and RN62x would both be upgrades.  The RN51x is a significantly older chassis (introduced back in 2013).

BTW, you will need to pay for shipping your current unit back.  Netgear will pay shipping of the replacement.

Message 4 of 8
debumitra
Tutor

Thank you, StephenB, you have been so very helpful.

I have one more question though. When, and if, I receive the replacement enclosure, and assuming that the replacement enclosure is also a RN424 (which is what the support representative told me), what would be the procedure for me to move my data and configuration from the old enclosure to the new one?

I know that I shall have to insert the disks in the same order and then start the new box. But will it restore the configuration too? More specifically:

(1) I have accounts, groups, alerts and such.

(2) I have back up jobs.

(3) I have an additional app installed. The IDrive app.

(4) I have bonded network links in Adaptive Load Balancing mode.

If yes, is this possible because these configurations or settings are saved on the disks and not in some non-volatile memory installed in the NAS enclosure?

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@debumitra wrote:

All settings/configuration files are stored in a 4 GB OS partition that is mirrored on every disk - and the NAS boots from that partition.

So migrating is simply a matter of moving your disks to the new NAS (ideally preserving slot order) and powering it on.

The NAS does have keep the most recently installed OS image in its flash.  When you migrate, the NAS will check the OS version in the flash with what is on the disks.  If the flash is newer, it will update the firmware on the disks from the flash.  If the flash is older, then it update the flash from the disks. There are some other steps needed when the new NAS is a different model, to update the hardware configs.

Since in your case the NAS is still running, you might want to upgrade to the newest firmware (6.10.7 at the moment) before migrating.  That would eliminate the chance that the new NAS would upgrade firmware during the first boot.

Message 6 of 8
debumitra
Tutor

StephenB,

I received the replacement NAS from Netgear in record time and was able to set it up without any trouble. The information you provided was extremely helpful and improved my understanding.

The replacement came with OS 6.10.1. But my NAS was already on 6.10.7. But at the first boot, the replacement NAS found 6.10.7 on the disk and updated it, as you prescribed.

My NAS had a static MAC-to-IP set up. So I changed that to the replacement NAS' MAC-to-IP before I connected and powered the replacement NAS on. That was the only additional step I had to really do.

I shall keep an eye on the new one for a couple of days before returning the old one to Netgear. Again, I very much appreciate the help I got.

Thank you.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad the RMA worked out, and that your migration went smoothly.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements