× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 426 - increasing capacity to existing full unit

RichWilson
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 426 - increasing capacity to existing full unit

I have the ReadyNAS 426 with 6 x 6TB drives configured with X-Raid Raid 5.  I currently am at 79\80% capacity

I have replaced one drive with a 10TB capacity.  The unity resynced and the drives are working and showing in the interface.

I however have no additonal space.  The log after resyncing shows 80% capacity. 

My intent is to quarterly add a new 10 TB drive until all 6 are replaced.    

Is there something else I must do to see the extra capacity. Or is there another more appropriate approach?

Model: RN426|ReadyNAS 426 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 6-Bays
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
anna_arun
NETGEAR Expert

Re: ReadyNAS 426 - increasing capacity to existing full unit

When you are on XRAID mode and added 1st HDD of 10TB , There will be no additional capacity seen after Sync . Volume should be same around 27T even now . Space increase will be seen from the next drive added . Add the next 10TB , You should see a 3.6T increase in Space (Approx 30.5T) and the same will follow for the rest drives when repalced . This would happen only when the XRAID is on . 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
anna_arun
NETGEAR Expert

When you are on XRAID mode and added 1st HDD of 10TB , There will be no additional capacity seen after Sync . Volume should be same around 27T even now . Space increase will be seen from the next drive added . Add the next 10TB , You should see a 3.6T increase in Space (Approx 30.5T) and the same will follow for the rest drives when repalced . This would happen only when the XRAID is on . 

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

The capacity rule is "sum the disks and subtract the largest".  That gives you the size in TB; @anna_arun is giving you the volume size in TiB (which is what the NAS reports).  1 TB is about .909 TiB.

Message 3 of 5
RichWilson
Aspirant

Thanks. So I put the 2nd 10TB drive into the RN426 and after it synced the space increased.

I moved the previous 6TB drivesn in to my RN214 that was 4x2TB.  I put them in one at a time, and synced between.  The second drive/synced just finished and no addtional space.  Showing 5. 44TB.

This is small enough I could move the data and preprovision.  Is that my only option?

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage, RN426|ReadyNAS 426 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 6-Bays
Message 4 of 5
RichWilson
Aspirant

I found my problem.  IT was on flex raid not x-raid.  switched, and it's fine now. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements