× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 4312V2 to ReadyNAS 4312V2 Rsync Backup

Greg_Richardson
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 4312V2 to ReadyNAS 4312V2 Rsync Backup

ReadyNAS 4312V2 (RR4312X) Firmware 6.10.1

When backing up a share on NAS A to its twin NAS B using "Windows/NAS Backup" the backup runs perfectly consistently; that is any file changes on NAS A are reflected on the destination NAS after the backup.

After changing the backup mode to "RSYNC" for the same backup it runs, logs show any and all changed files on source are updated correctly on destination. However, when directly viewing the files that the RSYNC logs show to have been backed up on the destination device's share, the actual contents are not changed from prior to the backup's run.

I called Netgear support and was told RSYNC only works on the top level directory which is not my experience with it on both general command line use and also with a previous generation of ReadyNAS devices. Is this now the standard behavior of RSYNC with ReadyNAS? If so it seems very limiting to me.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 4312V2 to ReadyNAS 4312V2 Rsync Backup

Try switching one share to pull, and see if that resolves it.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I use rsync with all my backups, and haven't seen this.

Are you running "push" backups (local source, remote destination)?  Or "pull" (remote source, local destination).  Personally I use "pull" with 6.10.4.  There is a bug with "push" in 6.10.4, but AFAIK there is no issue with 6.10.1.

Message 2 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Is this on a "push" (initiated by the primary NAS) or "pull" (initiated by the backup NAS)?

A push does a snapshot first and backs that up to insure integrity of the files being backed up, and perhaps the problem lies therein -- that the snapshot that's being used is an old one.

How full is the data volume?

Message 3 of 10
Greg_Richardson
Aspirant

This is a push backup. As I mentioned above I spoke with Netgear support and he effectively said this was how RSYNC behaved which I thought was odd since it isn't the behavior I'm accustomed with. From the command line I normally use it recursively which the reason I expected this behavior here.

Message 4 of 10
Greg_Richardson
Aspirant

It's a push.

The source device has 32 Terabytes free and the destination device has 30 Terabytes free.

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Try switching one share to pull, and see if that resolves it.

Message 6 of 10
Greg_Richardson
Aspirant

I'll try it.

Message 7 of 10
Greg_Richardson
Aspirant

The "pull" backup seems to work properly. Does this mean there's a bug in "push" rsync backups? Considering my original question, I can't think of a reason this would be desired behavior.

However, I will do "pulls" from now on when using rsync. Thanks for the solution to this issue.

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Greg_Richardson wrote:

Does this mean there's a bug in "push" rsync backups?

There is a bug with "push" backups in 6.10.4  Rolling back to 6.10.3 resolves it. 

But you said you were running 6.10.1 - and I haven't seen this bug reported with that firmware.  Perhaps you mistyped the firmware you are running?

@Greg_Richardson wrote:

However, I will do "pulls" from now on when using rsync. 

One advantage of "push" is that the system makes a snapshot, and then backs up the snapshot.  That ensures the backup is atomic - changes made while the backup is in progress aren't sent until the next backup.

I use pull backups off-hours myself.  My backup NAS are on a power schedule, and using pull ensures that all the backups run to completion before they shut down.

In any event, if you need the benefit of "push", you can try 6.10.3 - which should work.

Message 9 of 10
Greg_Richardson
Aspirant

Thanks for the great response. I re-checked the firmware version and I actually am using  6.10.1 on both devices.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements