× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 516 data volume is filing up fast

kentd
Tutor

ReadyNAS 516 data volume is filing up fast

Hi,

I havent been using my NAS any more than normal - and havent written or copied anything to it today. However I've been getting usage warnings and now checked it is about to fill up. I cant see share use increasing/changing, so it must be an app or something at the root?

Can anyone please help me to check what it is?

(I do use time machine backups, transmission, and readynas surveillance) None of which have had any changes in use or function in weeks.

I can get to SSH, however am not proficient - if its commands and instructions - please list out and i can follow. THanks so much.

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 5.41.57 PM.png

Model: RN51664E|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 516 data volume is filing up fast

You could do e.g.

# mount -bind / /mnt

# du -csh /mnt/*

Message 2 of 9
kentd
Tutor

root@KDNAS4:~# mount --bind / /mnt
root@KDNAS4:~# du -csh /mnt/*
0 /mnt/apps
6.7M /mnt/bin
0 /mnt/boot
0 /mnt/crypto_LUKS
0 /mnt/data
24K /mnt/dev
0 /mnt/eda1
12M /mnt/etc
29M /mnt/frontview
0 /mnt/ftp_ban.tbl
0 /mnt/home
33M /mnt/lib
3.6M /mnt/lib32
4.0K /mnt/lib64
32K /mnt/media
0 /mnt/mnt
4.6M /mnt/opt
0 /mnt/proc
24K /mnt/root
0 /mnt/run
10M /mnt/sbin
0 /mnt/selinux
0 /mnt/srv
0 /mnt/sys
24K /mnt/tmp
360M /mnt/usr
384M /mnt/var
841M total
root@KDNAS4:~#

Message 3 of 9
kentd
Tutor

actually frontview suggests it is snapshot data - however it has been pruning snapshots, and as you can see form my share data, there is only 3.6TB of actual data in shares, and no retention as it has been pruning. Is it that frontview isnt updating after the auto-removal of snapshots?

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 6.57.44 PM.png

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running?  What apps are you running?  I am guessing the Amazon Cloud app is one of them, based on the share names.

Are these log warnings for the data volume, or for the OS partition?  If you aren't sure, can you post a couple of them?   Temporarily turn off the Amazon cloud app (and any others that write to the data volume).

Given the short retention you are seeing anyway, I'd manually go into each share, and disable snapshots for now.  Then delete all the snapshots for each share from web ui.  After that is done, I suggest running a balance (click on the settings wheel in the volume tab).

That should clear out all the currently used snapshot space.  After that, try re-enabling snapshots (leaving the apps off), and see if the problem starts up again. Then re-enable any apps (one at a time), and see if one of the apps is triggering the behavior..

Message 5 of 9
kentd
Tutor

firmware: 6.7.4

apps: third party: transmission.

Netgear: Surveillance, Time Machine, and Amazon Cloud Drive. 

I've disabled snapshots on the shares, and manually removed each snap, and started a balance - might take a while. So will report back then.

What seems odd - is the web UI is no longer showing usage on the shares. It was yesterday as per screen shot in earlier message.

On my data vol, there is 10.9Tb of capacity, and i have no more than 4TB in used on the shares, plus I'd expect 1-2TB in surveillance video, and 500GB in time machine. However there is more than 9TB consumed on data vol now - what was showing as snapshots is now showing in GUI as actual data.

Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 7.29.10 AM.png

Message 6 of 9
bedlam1
Prodigy

Usage of the shares only shows if Quota's are enabled, did you turn it off

Message 7 of 9
kentd
Tutor

@bedlam1 wrote:

Usage of the shares only shows if Quota's are enabled, did you turn it off

Hi, no i've never used quota's - or turned it off.

Since starting the balance, the data volume has now reduced back to expected capacity. Will wait for this to complete before enabling any apps and snaps again.

Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 9.19.42 AM.png

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@kentd wrote:

Hi, no i've never used quota's - or turned it off.

I think the default setting for this changed recently.

In any event, you need quotas enabled in order to see the usage by share.  You click on the volume's setting wheel and then choose "settings". 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements