× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 524X CPU Temperature

powellandy1
Virtuoso

ReadyNAS 524X CPU Temperature

Hi

I've just acquired one of these second hand.

CPU runs about 69oC with fan on cool.

Environment is rather warm (under stairs) but all other NASes there and much cooler.

Found another couple of threads:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-RN524X-CPU-temperature-too...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNas-524x-Temperatur-often-just...

I took it apart - unfortunately it looks like the heatsink is glued on with an adhesive thermal pad - once I'd carefully popped all the pins out of the heatsink it was still stuck fast and I didn't want to pry - it certainly wasn't thermal paste like all ther others i've upgraded/repasted.

The current Delta AFB0912HH fan just about keeps it cool but its very noisy. Going to try a Noctua NF-A9 but the peak flow and pressure aren't as high as the Delta full pelt according to the specs (but the RPM in OS6 hovers around 2800-2900RPM whereas the max spec is 3200RPM) - so we'll see if it holds the temperature.

What's the max CPU temperature - i've read elsewhere 82oC??

Any other suggestions??

Cheers
A

Model: RN524X|ReadyNAS 524X – Premium Performance Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 2 of 5
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Thanks.

Do you know if the NAS has any sort of thermal cut out before then??

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

No idea, I never had a shutdown caused by overheating of system and/or disk. Anybody else and what was the temperature, please?

In the configurable alerts available through the admin ui of os6 system overheating is not mentioned, while disk and fan are. You might want to take a look.

Message 4 of 5
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Thanks.

Just as an update - installed a Noctua 92mm PWM (as goes to 2000rpm) fan - DC control with 3 pins still works fine.

Was hotter - much quieter but CPU temps peaked at 82oC.

Interestingly opened the door on the unit and they dropped 10oC.

Changed the fan direction so it blew in rather than exhaust - temps about 72oC with door closed and about 65oC with door open.

Seems to be a combination of poor case design for airflow and a rather weedy CPU heatsink with thermal adhesive rather than paste.

Thanks all,

A

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements