× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 526 Unclean Shutdown

steveoelliott
Luminary

ReadyNAS 526 Unclean Shutdown

Hi all, Today one of my ReadyNAS 526's was uncleanly shutdown due to an error on my part... The unit was idle at the time and has come back online but I am keen to understand how an unclean shutdown affects the BTRFS filesystem that these NAS's use. Ordinarily I would run an fsck (if it were ext3/4) but with BTRFS there is no such tool. Should I be concerned about possible filesystem damage / corruption? How does BTRFS handle unclean shutdowns? Thanks...

Model: RN526X| ReadyNAS 526X 6-Bay with up to 60TB total storage
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

The file system itself is designed to handle unclean shutdown cleanly (with no need for file system checking).  

The software raid underneath is generally a bigger concern, as lost writes can result in a RAID array that is out of sync.  If it does fall out of sync, the volume won't be mounted (so that definitely didn't happen in your case).  The RAID sync vulnerability isn't filesystem dependent - it's the same with ext3 as it is with btrfs.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The file system itself is designed to handle unclean shutdown cleanly (with no need for file system checking).  

The software raid underneath is generally a bigger concern, as lost writes can result in a RAID array that is out of sync.  If it does fall out of sync, the volume won't be mounted (so that definitely didn't happen in your case).  The RAID sync vulnerability isn't filesystem dependent - it's the same with ext3 as it is with btrfs.

Message 2 of 6
steveoelliott
Luminary

Thanks Stephen... The RAID vulnerability is however quite a concern (not for this occasion but generally). Is there anything that can be done to prevent this and / or clean it up should the array become out of sync? Are Netgear likely to resolve this in the future or is it a feature limitation of the implementation?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

There are event counters on each disk, which mdadm uses to detect if the array is in sync.  There is a command option (--force) which tells mdadm to ignore the counters.  If you use that, then the array will mount, but there will be some volume corruption (since there are lost writes).

@steveoelliott wrote:

is it a feature limitation of the implementation?

I think the possibility of lost writes as a result of an unexpected shutdown (or crash) is inherent to RAID.  I always recommend using a UPS with a NAS, as that eliminates the possibility of an unexpected power cut.  Though of course a crash can create the same effect.  Disabling the write cache is another way to substantially reduce the risk (with a performance cost) - though write cache controls aren't available in the current web ui.

Message 4 of 6
steveoelliott
Luminary

Thanks Stephen.

I do use UPS's on all my devices. However, on this occasion the device was uncleanly shutdown due to an error on my part 🙂

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@steveoelliott wrote:

However, on this occasion the device was uncleanly shutdown due to an error on my part 🙂

Been there, done that Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements