× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 6.9.4 Hotfix 1 Fail (Out of memory kernel crash)

opjose
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 6.9.4 Hotfix 1 Fail (Out of memory kernel crash)

I have two brand new ReadyNAS 4312 units all bays filled with two redundant tiers and a third caching tier. These are connected to four VM Hosts over iSCSI using Netgear SFP+ intelligent switches. The units were tested in situ for two months with one Hyper-V VM machine running off the NAS. After moving my remaining 19 VM's to the NAS units both devices regularly crash. The logs show a kernel "out of memory" condition and panic with a lot of dirty writes. When I contacted the Netgear technicians they seem to be trying to address the symptoms not the disease... e.g. this should NEVER happen on an appliance device that is factory configured. The latest response I received was "turn off/on automatic defragging and see if the issue re-occurs", is not a viable way to cure an inherent kernel memory management issue. This also predicates moving my production VM's back onto the units and then let them fail or not. A "try this and see if they fail" approach is not a viable way to deal with Netgear O.S. issues. Is there a fix for this?
Message 1 of 2
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: ReadyNAS 6.9.4 Hotfix 1 Fail (Out of memory kernel crash)

Hi @opjose, would you mind to let know, whether this issue went away with OS 6.9.5 or 6.10.0? Thanks a lot in advance and kind regards.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements