× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 6 - out of memory+300 next morning after restoring a snapshot

AGSowjet
Apprentice

ReadyNAS 6 - out of memory+300 next morning after restoring a snapshot

Yesterday our drive accidentally started deleting huge amounts of files on our drives because of an error using the Amazon Cloud synchronization. (A main folder was moved in the cloud drive out of the synchronized folders and the local client hapilly started deleting all those files from the ReadyNAS drive. I deactivated synchronization to stop this as soon as I noticed, about half an hour late. Many files have been deleted).

Now with the cloud synchronisation fully stopped, and with daily snapshots on our ReadyNAS, I started restoring the last snapshop (from 1 am same day, before it all happened) at around 6 pm. The ReadyNAS started working and got slower, but accessible.

Now next day, the ReadyNAS is not accessible, neither local shares nor admin interface. The display is showing Out of memory +300

What should I do now??

Firmware 6.9.2

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
AGSowjet
Apprentice

Hello John,

yes that helped indeed! Thanks a lot. I totally missed it because we do not use quotas on the shares.

I restarted into normal mode and quickly turned volume quota off, before it probably would again start its deadly routine. For now the ReadyNAS is working fine and I guess this was source of the problems.

Only drawback now is that the NAS with volume quota off can not show details about the space used by snapshots.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi AGSowjet,

Can you try booting the NAS into Volume Read Only Mode? You may check the procedure here.

If you will be able to access the NAS when it is on Volume Ready Only, I would suggest to do a full backup then factory defaulting the unit.

If you still have a support, it is recommended to contact NETGEAR Support. Kindly download the full logs if possible and send the logs using this guide.

Regards,

JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
AGSowjet
Apprentice

Yes, thanks, rebooting into read only mode went fine. I think a normal boot might work fine too, but I want to be very cautious.

There surely is no shortage on disk space. The drive has 4.50 GB available of 10.90 GB.

From looking at various files at the log download, I can see that apparently the snapshot restore went fine, as it happened at 18/02/14 14:41 and there are traces of activity in other log files later that day.

It seems that all files are intact (=as before deletion through cloud sync).

And I guess I can safely restart in normal mode. But I really want to know what caused the error.

Which log files do I have to look at? I have browsed trough some of them and found nothing suspicious!

status.log shows no errors, nothing in between the snapshot restore and forced reboot by unplugging power today:

[18/02/14 14:33:02 CET] info:system:LOGMSG_CLOUDSTORAGE_SERVICE_STOP Amazon Cloud Drive service stopped.
[18/02/14 14:41:55 CET] info:snapshot:LOGMSG_SNAPSHOT_ROLLBACK_INFO Share or LUN NAS1 was successfully rolled back to snapshot '2018_02_14__00_00_27'.
[18/02/19 11:09:49 CET] info:system:LOGMSG_READYNASD_ABORTED_NOINFO ReadyNASOS service or process was restarted.
[18/02/19 11:10:15 CET] info:system:LOGMSG_START_READYNASD ReadyNASOS background service started.

The last entries from system.log are these. And right before that (completed exactly 14 seconds before), a NTP adjustment tool place.

Feb 14 19:53:56 NAS1 CRON[12807]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root
Feb 14 19:54:11 NAS1 wsdd2[2210]: Terminated received.
Feb 14 19:54:11 NAS1 wsdd2[2210]: terminating.
Feb 14 19:56:56 NAS1 CRON[12958]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root
-- Reboot --

Feb 19 11:09:03 SowjetNAS wsdd2[2205]: starting.

Message 3 of 5
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi AGSowjet,

Based on the logs that you have sent, the quota is enabled on your volume. Can you check it again on your NAS? You may check it on System> Volumes then go to Settings. The Quota should not be checked there.

Regards,

JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
AGSowjet
Apprentice

Hello John,

yes that helped indeed! Thanks a lot. I totally missed it because we do not use quotas on the shares.

I restarted into normal mode and quickly turned volume quota off, before it probably would again start its deadly routine. For now the ReadyNAS is working fine and I guess this was source of the problems.

Only drawback now is that the NAS with volume quota off can not show details about the space used by snapshots.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements