× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 628 stuck at "NETGEAR Storage Welcome" during 6.9.0 update

coloatty
Luminary

ReadyNAS 628 stuck at "NETGEAR Storage Welcome" during 6.9.0 update

ReadyNAS 628 is stuck at "NETGEAR Storage Welcome" during 6.9.0 update attempt. Did not appear to completely update firmware before disconnecting from network. Same thing happened with 628 during previous 6.8.0 update, but not during 6.8.1 update. Did not recover from 6.8.0 problem until turning 628 on after four month shutdown. ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus update through 6.8.1 without any problem. What do I do to get 628 back up and running without a four month shutdown? Why do the 62X models (another thread has similar issues with a 626) have major version update issues?

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
coloatty
Luminary

Netgear replaced the ReadyNAS 628 under warranty. Installed labeled drives from original NAS in replacement 628, firmware update finished from where it left off, and the NAS booted normally. Hope the replacement 628 ends up as reliable as a ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus continues to be.

View solution in original post

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 12 of 13

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Did you try a forced shutdown and reboot?  What status is RAIDar reporting?

FWIW, my RN52x NAS both upgraded with no problems.

Message 2 of 13
coloatty
Luminary

So far, ReadyCLOUD reports 628 is offline, and RAIDar also only discovers the Ultra 6 Plus, not the 628, which is connected to the same switch as the U6P and a Mac mini used for access. Forced shutdowns and reboots using the power button on either the front or rear with either the eight data drives in place or a single blank drive returns to the same "NETGEAR Storage Welcome" message without booting.

The 628 had exactly the same behavior and issue a few months ago when the 628 was upgraded from 6.7.4 to 6.8.0. (The 6.8.1 upgrade was routinely successful.) Restarting after a four month shutdown, the 628 finally spontaneously and "auto-magically" finished the firmware update to 6.8.0 and resumed normal operation until the 6.9.0 upgrade attempt. During each major version upgrade (6.8.0 and 6.9.0), the firmware update seems to take much longer than usual before the 628 becomes disconnected from the network during the update progress (e.g., much longer than the 6.7.X and 6.8.1 updates).

At the moment, I have removed and labeled the eight data drives in the 628 and replaced them with one blank drive, and since that hasn't done anything, the 628 is turned off.

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

What apps are installed?  Did you do anything with ssh?

Message 4 of 13
coloatty
Luminary

Have not used SSH on the 628. Only installed apps on the 628 are Plex Media Server and PlexPy. If I remember correctly, PMS was on but PlexPy was off.

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

I might be mis-remembering this, but I think there might be an issue with PlexPY (which uses php).

Anyway, one safe thing you could try is to do an OS reinstall.  USB recovery might also work.

Message 6 of 13
coloatty
Luminary

Attempted OS reinstall using reset button on back but that did not progress beyond the "NETGEAR Storage Welcome" message. 

Do not have a Windows PC to create the USB recovery tool. Can I create the USB recovery tool using a Mac with Parallels and Windows installed?

Message 7 of 13
coloatty
Luminary

Installed Parallels and Windows 10 on Mac mini. Followed recovery tool instructions more than once after creating recovery tool files on more than one USB flash drive. Nothing works. NAS does not even appear to attempt to read flash drives plugged into front of 628.

Message 8 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried a cold boot (unplug power, wait a while, reconnect power and attempt to power on)?

Do you have any USB/eSATA devices connected?

Message 9 of 13
coloatty
Luminary

Have tried a cold boot. The last time I had to do that (6.8.0 upgrade), I had to power the NAS off for about 4 months.

Have tried to start up with the USB connection to a UPS disconnected without success.

The eSATA data backup devices have not been connected since sometime before the 6.9.0 update was attempted.

Yesterday afternoon, made an online support report to request an RMA and received a case number. Then, called tech support. After an initial 20 minutes on hold plus additional holds of shorter duration, the case is being referred to level 2 support next time I can find a chunk of time to waste on another tech support call.

I just want an RMA so I can return this defective ReadyNAS 628.

Message 10 of 13
coloatty
Luminary

Awfully expensive POS now RMAed and shipped at my expense.

Message 11 of 13
coloatty
Luminary

Netgear replaced the ReadyNAS 628 under warranty. Installed labeled drives from original NAS in replacement 628, firmware update finished from where it left off, and the NAS booted normally. Hope the replacement 628 ends up as reliable as a ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus continues to be.

Message 12 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for letting us know. Hope your replacement units works well for you too.

The RN628X is a big step up from your Ultra 6 Plus.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements