× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 628X Rsync backup of one share fails with "return rc -62" - what does this mean?

geoffcooper
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 628X Rsync backup of one share fails with "return rc -62" - what does this mean?

I manage a Netgear ReadyNAS 628X at work (Firmware is version 6.10.8 - the current latest). There are several shares and these are backed up to another NAS (a new Synology Diskstation with latest firmware etc) using Rsync and a backup job run from the ReadyNAS source. There are several different shares, and all of them except one do their sync absolutely fine. Also, before the new Synology Diskstation (the backup destination), they all backed up to another ReadyNAS with rsync without any errors at all!

The share that fails is the biggest (around 20 TB), but the others are not small (5-10 TB). The volume has been recently scrubbed and everthing about the system is healthy as far as I can tell. I guess it's something to do with either file permissions, some kind of network transfer timeout, or maybe folder structure 'depth', but I cannot find anything online to tell me what the 'return rc -62' error actually means?! I think knowing that might help - any hints?

From the backup log (I removed the names and IP addresses with ##):

Backup Job Name: ####

Backup Job Type: Incremental

Protocol: rsync

Backup Source: [#ShareName#]/

Backup Destination: [remote:rsync]/##.##.##.##::#ShareName#

Backup Start Time: Tue May 09 2023 11:46:22 AM

Backup Finish Time: Tue May 09 2023 5:46:28 PM

Backup Status: Fail: Failure during copy.

Failed to run rsync, return rc -62

sending incremental file list

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Geoff

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
bryce_june
Guide

Re: ReadyNAS 628X Rsync backup of one share fails with "return rc -62" - what does this me

Hi Cooper,

Hope so you're doing well, from the error message "Failed to run rsync, return rc -62," the return code -62 indicates a protocol-specific error related to the rsync process. Here are a few suggestions to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Check network connectivity: Ensure that there is a stable network connection between the Netgear ReadyNAS and the Synology Diskstation. Verify that both devices can communicate with each other without any network interruptions or packet loss.

2. Review rsync configuration: Double-check the rsync configuration on both the source (Netgear ReadyNAS) and destination (Synology Diskstation) devices. Make sure the correct paths, IP addresses, and rsync settings are configured accurately.

3. File permissions and ownership: Verify the file permissions and ownership on the source and destination shares. Ensure that the user account used for the rsync process has sufficient permissions to read and write files on both devices.

4. Check storage capacity: Confirm that the destination (Synology Diskstation) has enough storage capacity to accommodate the backup from the source (Netgear ReadyNAS). If the destination is running low on storage, it could cause the rsync process to fail.

5. Review log files: Check the log files on both the Netgear ReadyNAS and Synology Diskstation for any specific error messages or warnings related to the rsync process. The log files may provide more details about the cause of the failure.

6. Update firmware and software: Ensure that both the Netgear ReadyNAS and Synology Diskstation are running the latest firmware versions. Additionally, check for any available updates for the rsync software or packages on both devices and apply them if necessary.

Hope so this will help you!

Regards,

Bryce June

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 628X Rsync backup of one share fails with "return rc -62" - what does this me

Have you downloaded the full log zip file, and checked there for details?

Also, have you double-checked that rsync is enabled on the synology target share?

Message 2 of 8
bryce_june
Guide

Hi Cooper,

Hope so you're doing well, from the error message "Failed to run rsync, return rc -62," the return code -62 indicates a protocol-specific error related to the rsync process. Here are a few suggestions to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Check network connectivity: Ensure that there is a stable network connection between the Netgear ReadyNAS and the Synology Diskstation. Verify that both devices can communicate with each other without any network interruptions or packet loss.

2. Review rsync configuration: Double-check the rsync configuration on both the source (Netgear ReadyNAS) and destination (Synology Diskstation) devices. Make sure the correct paths, IP addresses, and rsync settings are configured accurately.

3. File permissions and ownership: Verify the file permissions and ownership on the source and destination shares. Ensure that the user account used for the rsync process has sufficient permissions to read and write files on both devices.

4. Check storage capacity: Confirm that the destination (Synology Diskstation) has enough storage capacity to accommodate the backup from the source (Netgear ReadyNAS). If the destination is running low on storage, it could cause the rsync process to fail.

5. Review log files: Check the log files on both the Netgear ReadyNAS and Synology Diskstation for any specific error messages or warnings related to the rsync process. The log files may provide more details about the cause of the failure.

6. Update firmware and software: Ensure that both the Netgear ReadyNAS and Synology Diskstation are running the latest firmware versions. Additionally, check for any available updates for the rsync software or packages on both devices and apply them if necessary.

Hope so this will help you!

Regards,

Bryce June

Message 3 of 8
geoffcooper
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply - yeah, the full log didn't really say much more than the pop-up log through the OS, and the backups are actually all going to folders within the same share on the Synology, so since the other backups work, I'm confident the RSync is enabled properly.

Thanks,

Geoff

Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@geoffcooper wrote:

I'm confident the RSync is enabled properly.

Have you tried resetting the file permissions on the ReadyNAS share?  There's a reset control on the file permissions page on the NAS share settings.

Another test would be to run an rsync job on the synology, and see if that can access the share.  You'd of course need to enable rsync in the ReadyNAS share settings.

Message 5 of 8
geoffcooper
Aspirant

Hi Bryce,

Thanks for the checklist - definitely helped!

1) Check network connectivity: Connection is fine for other backups between the same pair, so assumed to be ok. However, this was the largest share and therefore the longest backup job, so this could be part of it.

2) Review rsync configuration: I /thought/ this was all fine and correct, but actually after checking this I added the IP address of the Synology to the RSync list as well as the DNS name (which was already there). After doing that, I was successful in running the 'problem' backup, so I suspect that was the solution. Either that or something else randomly worked this time!

3) File permissions and ownership: Checked - shouldn't be any different for this share compared to the others.
4) Check storage capacity: Yeah, many TB free!

5) Review log files: Didn't really tell me anything new.

6) Update firmware and software: All up to date already

Now we'll see if the scheduled incremental backups for that job continue to work properly now that I've activated them...

Cheers, Geoff

Message 6 of 8
geoffcooper
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try that and also a data scrub, without any obvious change to the situation.
I do seem to have it working now after adding the Synology DNS name /and/ IP address to the RSync 'allowed' list...

Re running the RSync job from the Synology: I'd love to do that but have yet to find a way to do it. If it was Synology to Synology then their 'backup shared folders' widget will do it, but from everywhere I've looked it seems like to RSync from non-Synology to a Diskstation, the source has to initiate the transfer 😕 If I've got that wrong, pleasse suggest how to do it as running the backups as a 'pull' from the backup NAS is always my preferred way to work!

Cheers,

Geoff

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@geoffcooper wrote:

Re running the RSync job from the Synology: I'd love to do that but have yet to find a way to do it. 

I don't have a Synology, so I can't give specific advice there.  You could just try running rsync directly from ssh I guess (putting it in a cron job after you get it working).

I use pull backups myself, because they allow me to put the destination ReadyNAS on power schedules.

One benefit of "push" is that the ReadyNAS backs up from a temporary snapshot, so the backup is always coherent.  I run my pull backups off-hours so avoid that.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements