× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Backup options

teach_team
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Backup options

Does anyone use any third party software to backup their NAS? We have a customer with 2 onsite ReadyNas devices which was using the Rsynch Native backup to backup the active NAS to the Passive one. This has been working well but since 6.10.4 it no longer works and it doesnt appear to have been fixed in 6.10.5 either, so we are constantly backdating the firmware to 6.10.3. I am losing confidence that NetGear will address this issue in later releases. Does anyone have any other options for backing up the NAS, happy to look at third paty software and use the backup NAS as the repsitory for the backups.

Cheers,

Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@teach_team wrote:

Does anyone use any third party software to backup their NAS? We have a customer with 2 onsite ReadyNas devices which was using the Rsynch Native backup to backup the active NAS to the Passive one. This has been working well but since 6.10.4 it no longer works and it doesnt appear to have been fixed in 6.10.5 either, so we are constantly backdating the firmware to 6.10.3.

You can work around the rsync issue by setting up backup jobs for each share, instead of backing up the entire NAS with one backup job.  All home folders can be done in one backup job.  

I don't know of third-party software to back up NAS->NAS, though there are some options for NAS->Cloud.

Message 2 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

I'm not sure why you are "constantly backdating" the OS, either.  Automatic updates can be disabled.

Message 3 of 10
teach_team
Aspirant

Will try this

Message 4 of 10
teach_team
Aspirant

I am not sure why either, i have unticked checked for OS updates but whenever i log in it messages me that a new OS has been loaded and reboot is necessary to apply it! Now either another admin is allowing it (a few different users can log into the app and i have told all not to do it) or the OS just goes ahead and does it anyway!!!

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@teach_team wrote:

Now either another admin is allowing it (a few different users can log into the app and i have told all not to do it) or the OS just goes ahead and does it anyway!!!

Make sure "automatic firmware updates" isn't checked on the settings page.

Message 6 of 10
Asmodeous
Aspirant

Have you looked into why rsync is failing?  Rsync has been around for a long time and is basically usable on any *nix based system.  You should be able to rsync to/from the ReadyNAS to anything that supports rsync, not just another ReadyNAS.  Are there any error messages or logs as to why the rsync is failing?

As for other software that can be used to backup the NAS, are you looking for something that runs on the ReadyNAS itself or are you open to using another server to shuttle the data back and forth?  Have you looked into using Resilio?

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Asmodeous wrote:

Have you looked into why rsync is failing? 

I haven't, but it is a widely reported bug here.

The configuration that fails is one where the NAS makes a snapshot of the full data volume, and then backs up that snapshot.  The logs show a successful completion, but no files are actually backed up.  My guess (just a guess) is that something has gone wrong with the steps before rsync is run, and that it is backing up an empty folder.

Message 8 of 10
Asmodeous
Aspirant

I'd imagine a manual rsync from one NAS to the other could be done to test the rsync.  That would be an easy way to see if it is the problem or something else.

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Asmodeous wrote:

I'd imagine a manual rsync from one NAS to the other could be done to test the rsync.  That would be an easy way to see if it is the problem or something else.

The only case that fails is when you are backing up the entire data volume to a remote destination. 

Rsync backups with a remote source work, and rsync backups of a local share to a remote destination also work. And running rsync manually also works - I run scripts on my NAS which rsync the log zip daily, and those scripts run with no problems on 6.10.5.

If you want to pursue this yourself, then go ahead - it'd be helpful to have solid information on exactly what is going wrong.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements