× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Connectiviy issues

purplenurple
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Connectiviy issues

I have a ReadyNAS NVX Pioneer Edition. I have this issue everytime I use it on a new computer or I format my HDD. This is due to the fact it is not attached to a network and I have it plugged directly into the ethernet port on my computer and I can never remember the process I went through to get it running.
I think it is just down to getting the right IP settings to get it working, so I have added the settings I currently have running. Could someone please point out where I am going wrong?
Thank you in advance... 

Model: RNDX400E (ReadyNAS NVX Pioneer Edition)|ReadyNAS NVX Pioneer Edition|EOL
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Connectiviy issues

If the NVX is using it's default IP address settings, then it will be using 192.168.168.168.  So the PC should be set to a different (but compatible) address - for example 192.168.168.100.  You can also set the gateway to 192.168.168.1.

With these settings you need to access the NAS by it's IP address (\\192.168.168.168 in file explorer for example).

If you need to confirm the NAS IP address, then install RAIDar ( https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar ).  It should discover the NVX and report it's address even if the PC IP configuration is incompatible.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If the NVX is using it's default IP address settings, then it will be using 192.168.168.168.  So the PC should be set to a different (but compatible) address - for example 192.168.168.100.  You can also set the gateway to 192.168.168.1.

With these settings you need to access the NAS by it's IP address (\\192.168.168.168 in file explorer for example).

If you need to confirm the NAS IP address, then install RAIDar ( https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar ).  It should discover the NVX and report it's address even if the PC IP configuration is incompatible.

Message 2 of 7
purplenurple
Aspirant

Thats awesome! It worked straight away!! 🙂 Thank you! 🙂 

Message 3 of 7
purplenurple
Aspirant

I am really sorry, but now i have a different issue... 😞
Please see attached screen grab

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Your older NAS only supports SMB 1.0.  The solution is to enable the SMB 1.0 client on the PC - go to "turn windows features on or off" to do that.

The security risk is mainly because the protocol isn't encrypted or authenticated.  That's not a problem for you, since you are accessing the NAS over a dedicated link.  Also, your PC will negotiate SMB 2 or 3 when it connects to newer equipment.   Even if you connect your NAS to your router, IMO the security risk of SMB 1 is small on a home network. 

Message 5 of 7
purplenurple
Aspirant

Thank you so much Stephen...I am really starting to get somewhere now. Unfortunately, I have one more problem now. I am trying to copy photos off the drive and I am getting permission issues. Do you know how I can fix this? 

Sketch.png

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

You can reset the permissions for all files in the share in the admin web ui.

1. Select the share listing page in the web ui
  2. Click on the CIFS icon for the share.
  3. Select the "Advanced Options" page
  4. Set "share folder everyone rights" to read/write
  5. Click the checkbox next to "Set ownership and permissions..."
  6. Click the checkbox next to "Grant rename and delete privileges to non-owner of files."
  7. Click Apply

The checkbox next to "Set ownership and permissions" will immediately clear, and the system will reset them in the background.  There will be a pop-up when the process is complete.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements