× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS DUO guest shares work with Win10 with CIFS 1.0 option, but authenticated shares don't w

davidacampbell
Aspirant

ReadyNAS DUO guest shares work with Win10 with CIFS 1.0 option, but authenticated shares don't work

Here's my situation:

1.  ReadyNAS Duo with latest 4.1.16 firmware.

2.  Windows 10 client with SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support Option installed.

3.  Shares configured with Guest access via "Allow Guest Access" option in the share are accessible and work perfectly but there's no authentication on them so anyone on the network can access them - ie there's no security.

4.  Shares that don't have Guest access don't allow the authenticated user to access the share with username and password.  The error reported by Windows is "Access is Denied"

5.  The computer is configured in workgroup "WORKGROUP", and the NAS is configured identically.

6.  Accessing the same share using an alternative non-windows SMB client software works fine and authenticates to the share with the same username and password, as below, which proves that there's nothing wrong with the SMB protocol or authentication configuration on the device.

Below I connect and authenticate to SMB and put a zero length file called hello.txt onto the share, and then get a directory listing of the share, and the file is there.

root@turris:~# smbclient --user myusername //nas/files mypassword
smb: \> put hello.txt
smb: \> dir
. D 0 Fri Feb 1 23:01:26 2019
.. D 0 Sat Dec 22 21:28:35 2018
hello.txt A 0 Fri Feb 1 23:01:26 2019

58995 blocks of size 16777216. 11011 blocks available
smb: \> quit

It is quite apparent that an alternative SMB client can successfully work with the NAS, and so therefore it is seems that there is an incompatibility between the SMB implementation on the device and Windows 10.

I request that Netgear release a new firmware for the device that makes it compatible with Windows 10 as a client for authenticated shares.

Model: ReadyNAS RND2110|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS DUO guest shares work with Win10 with CIFS 1.0 option, but authenticated shares don't w

@davidacampbell wrote:

4.  Shares that don't have Guest access don't allow the authenticated user to access the share with username and password.  The error reported by Windows is "Access is Denied"

6.  Accessing the same share using an alternative non-windows SMB client software works fine and authenticates to the share with the same username and password, as below, which proves that there's nothing wrong with the SMB protocol or authentication configuration on the device.

I'm not sure what it proves actually. What is this "alternative non-windows SMB client"???

This access works for me with legacy NAS.  What you should do next is

• review the user account you've created on the NAS.  It can't match the name of the PC or the name of a share on the NAS.  If the username matches the PC username, then you should also match the PC password.
  • Open the windows credential manager, and explicitly add the username/password for the NAS.  Do this for both the IP address and the hostname
  • You might need to reboot the PC after you update the credential manager.

You might also want to test SMB access with net use.  For example, run CMD and type

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nas-ip-address\sharename /user:username userpassword

using real values instead of the italics.  Be careful on the typing - particularly spaces and the slash directions.

The first command terminates open network sessions.  If it prompts let it proceed.  The second attempts to mount the share as drive letter t.  If you see any errors, let us know the details.

A variant on the second command is 

net use t: \\nas-ip-address\C /user:admin nas-admin-password

That will mount the full data volume.  This only works with the admin credentials, and it won't work if the NAS password is still set to netgear1.

@davidacampbell wrote:

I request that Netgear release a new firmware for the device that makes it compatible with Windows 10 as a client for authenticated shares.

Well, of course you can always ask.  But they stopped shipping your NAS in 2011, and announced that they would stop updating its firmware after September 2016.  Despite that they did fix the WannaCry related vulnerabilities in May 2017.  However, now I think they're done - I'd be very surprised if there are any more updates. 

Message 2 of 4
davidacampbell
Aspirant

Stephen,

Thanks for your reply.  The net commands you mentioned worked straight off, even despite previously having rebooting the computer and it continuing to not work.  I could then access the t: share.

After running your net commands, I tried re-deleting the shares with the /delete command and then connecting by simply opening \\nas\files from the start menu and it worked.

Somehow incorrect credentials must have been cached and the delete seems to have fixed it.

The non-Windows SMB client I previously tested with was smbclient from linux, which can talk to SMB shares.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@davidacampbell wrote:

Somehow incorrect credentials must have been cached and the delete seems to have fixed it.

Great!  I'm glad you have access again.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements