× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Dua v2 - lost both drives

SAinCA
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Dua v2 - lost both drives

I have an external drive full backup and two brand new WD compatible disks.  The old Hitachis suddenly went south in a hurry.  I was able to copy-off all the "Secure" tax stuff, but very little else before it finally spewed over 8,000 errors, and then constant IO errors...

What is unclear from the User Guide title: ReadyNAS RAIDiator 4.1 Software Manual Models Duo NV+ 1100, is whether setting up a Backup Job with the source of the USB Drive, and the target the new RAID-X, will restore EVERYTHING.  The Folders are unknown to the NAS, and setting them up again could be a problem as it was a decade ago that I created them, and the laptop I used is no more...

Can a community member please either give me the good news that all will be well, or the bad that I need to set up a "Media" folder and the settings for three family members from scratch!?

In hopes, with gratitude for any relevant contributions.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Dua v2 - lost both drives

@SAinCA wrote:

Exactly that - delete outdated/unwanted files - about 100GB of music that's now stored in the cloud and old dmg files, that kind of thing.

They're all in subfolders of the default "media" structure.

Ok.  Some of the settings below might require you to be using the "user" security mode.  So check the security mode in Frontview first (Security->Security Mode).  If you aren't in user mode, let me know and I can provide info on how to switch.

Go to the share list in Frontview, and select "CIFS" for the media share.

Scroll down to the "Advanced CIFS Permission" section.  There are two check boxes there: 

• Automatically set permissions on new files and folders.
  • Do not allow ACL changes to be more restrictive than this.

If they are not checked, then check them both.

Immediately underneath is a set of 4 permissions (folder owner, folder group, file owner, file group).  Set them all to "Read/Write".  

If you had to adjust any of these settings, then click "Apply" on the bottom right.

Next, click on the "Advanced Options" tab on the top right.

You should set the Share folder owner to "Nobody" and the Share folder group to "Nogroup".

Immediately underneath are three sets of rights:

• Share folder owner rights:
  • Share folder group rights:
  • Share folder everyone rights

Set them all to "Read/Write".

You will see two checkboxes immediately below:

• Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders in this share to the above settings ...
  • Grant rename and delete privileges to non-owner of files.

Check them both, and click "Apply".  The "set ownership" box will immediately clear, and the system will begin resetting file permissions in the background.  When that completes you will see a pop-up (it will also show up in the log).  Then you should have full access to the files again.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Restoring the backup won't restore the configuration, so you would need to do that manually.

Message 2 of 11
SAinCA
Aspirant

Thanks. If it restores the folders, we’re probably good enough. Everyone now has their own Macs and cloud storage so permissions are no longer relevant. And I only had one backup job so that’s easy to re-do.

Cheers!
Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@SAinCA wrote:
Thanks. If it restores the folders, we’re probably good enough.

You'll need to recreate the share(s), and if the files were in the home folders you'll also need to create user accounts.  The backup job would restore any subfolders in the shares.

If the USB disk is formatted as NTFS, you could also restore the files manually (drag and drop from a PC).  If it isn't formatted as NTFS, you should consider changing that - a backup you can't read from another device isn't very useful.

Message 4 of 11
SAinCA
Aspirant

First restore of over 200GB was good.  Issue now is that I can't do cleanup without "...permision from \root..."

How on earth do I get THAT right?  I've scoured the Frontview pages in Advanced Mode, and nothing stands out as the way to get that.

Sorry to be a pain - my Unix is 15 years out of date, and quite how to get this NAS back to fully manageable is a bit of a trial!

Help thus far greatly appreciated!

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@SAinCA wrote:

First restore of over 200GB was good.  Issue now is that I can't do cleanup without "...permision from \root..."

What do you mean by "cleanup"?  Are you trying to delete files with file explorer?  Or something else?

Message 6 of 11
SAinCA
Aspirant

Exactly that - delete outdated/unwanted files - about 100GB of music that's now stored in the cloud and old dmg files, that kind of thing.

Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@SAinCA wrote:

Ok.  Some of the settings below might require you to be using the "user" security mode.  So check the security mode in Frontview first (Security->Security Mode).  If you aren't in user mode, let me know and I can provide info on how to switch.

Go to the share list in Frontview, and select "CIFS" for the media share.

Scroll down to the "Advanced CIFS Permission" section.  There are two check boxes there: 

• Automatically set permissions on new files and folders.
  • Do not allow ACL changes to be more restrictive than this.

If they are not checked, then check them both.

Immediately underneath is a set of 4 permissions (folder owner, folder group, file owner, file group).  Set them all to "Read/Write".  

If you had to adjust any of these settings, then click "Apply" on the bottom right.

Next, click on the "Advanced Options" tab on the top right.

You should set the Share folder owner to "Nobody" and the Share folder group to "Nogroup".

Immediately underneath are three sets of rights:

• Share folder owner rights:
  • Share folder group rights:
  • Share folder everyone rights

Set them all to "Read/Write".

You will see two checkboxes immediately below:

• Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders in this share to the above settings ...
  • Grant rename and delete privileges to non-owner of files.

Check them both, and click "Apply".  The "set ownership" box will immediately clear, and the system will begin resetting file permissions in the background.  When that completes you will see a pop-up (it will also show up in the log).  Then you should have full access to the files again.

Message 8 of 11
SAinCA
Aspirant

WOW!  SO HELPFUL!  Thanks.  Will try those tonight and post back with success (hopful), or other (sadness).  Many thanks for the level of detail and time spent helping out.  I'm actually glad the NAS is back in service - was researching forking out on a new unit, and new disks, and the $tag was a tad daunting.  AND so glad I backed-up the single source of truth!  AND invested in a UPS to prevent sudden outages taking out disks!

Message 9 of 11
SAinCA
Aspirant

The ONLY part I didn't see was "So check the security mode in Frontview first (Security->Security Mode)", but as I achieved EVERYTHING else, no matter.

I was able to delete the FILE### folder with a bunch of recovered fragments, that, as I've restored all I can, and cannot imagine delving into those fragments to recover anything more, I am a VERY happy camper.

SO grateful for you helping sort this mess out, let alone you contributions have saved me about $600.

Merry Christmas, Stephen B., from Stephen A.

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@SAinCA wrote:

SO grateful for you helping sort this mess out, let alone you contributions have saved me about $600.

Merry Christmas, Stephen B., from Stephen A.

I'm glad I was able to help.

Merry Christmas!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements