× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo - DLNA - Panasonic BWT700GL

bazbrian1
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo - DLNA - Panasonic BWT700GL

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo 2000 firmware 4.1.7 that has DLNA turned on. I'm looking at the Panasonic DMR-BWT700GL as a new HDD Recorder. http://www.panasonic.com.au/Products/DVD+and+Blu-ray/Blu-ray+-+Players+and+Recorders/DMR-BWT700GL/Specification - this is an Aussie model.

One of the Panasonic specs is that it is a DLNA Server and Client. Has anybody used one of these HDD recorders with the ReadyNAS and used DLNA to stream AVI's. Does it work?

I tried ringing Panasonic and they said ---- hmmm maybe. You should contact Netgear to get the answer.

Tried ringing Netgear and got shifted through a few different areas, then finally to a number that really gave me no options to go anywhere. After 15minutes of crap at Netgear, I got a recording that ended up hanging up.
Message 1 of 15
arjoseph1
Tutor

If the Panasonic HDD recorder can serve as a DLNA client this will work with the ReadyNAS acting as a DLNA server. DLNA is an open standard that once a company becomes certified, it means that it was able to comply with it.
Message 2 of 15
bazbrian1
Aspirant

Yes, the Panasonic DMR-BWT700GL can act as a server and client. A couple of less expensive ones are only servers. But if I'm to spend close to AUD1000, I'm trying to find out if it REALLY works OK.

Thanks for your answer.
Message 3 of 15
arjoseph1
Tutor

I believe that no actual test have been made for obvious reasons. NETGEAR cannot not afford testing all DLNA compliant devices to work with the ReadyNAS. Since it complied with the standard then it should work.
Message 4 of 15
bazbrian1
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. Makes me a little easier.

When I say "does it work", I probably should be a little more specific. I know the slightly older models of the Panasonic will play a DVD that has AVIs burnt to them. You can fast forward/rewind etc OK. Do the same features work when you stream an AVI using DLNA?

At the moment I have an older laptop connected to my TV and it is connected by Cat 5 to my NAS. I use XBMC and can fast forward/rewind using the interface, but if I can do the same with a HDD recorder with DLNA, then my whole setup will be "easier" to use for non-tech family members.
Message 5 of 15
arjoseph1
Tutor

Yes, the same feature should work in streaming an AVI file using DLNA.
Message 6 of 15
bazbrian1
Aspirant

Just finished setting up the new Panasonic BWT700 and yes, I can see the NAS. I can navigate to the folders, but when I try to play one of the AVI or MKV, I get a message saying that it can't be played.

Looks like I'll still be using the old Laptop and XBMC.

I have read that there is a later version of DLNA add-on - I'm running 1.0.18.2 at the moment. I might try the newer version of 1.0.21 over the next couple of days. I'm wondering if I should turn on Home Media Streaming Server?
Message 7 of 15
arjoseph1
Tutor

Home Media Streaming Server is the old version. You may download the latest DLNA add-on thru this link:

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=27946

Please also make sure that the firmware of your ReadyNAS is up to date.
Message 8 of 15
bazbrian1
Aspirant

I have the latest DLNA Add-on and the latest firmware and the Panasonic still can't play videos. It can see and play photos and music OK. I finally got some sense out of Netgear Support. The NAS doesn't do any transcoding. It is working correctly because of the photos and music. I can see the video files. I even downloaded DivX Plus conversion program for a 15 day trial. I converted an AVI to DivX and it still won't play through the Panasonic. I'd say I'll be going to a Panasonic forum now.

As an aside - Other features of the BWT700 still make it a worthwhile purchase, but the DLNA would have been nice, sort of. I did notice while I was recording a TV show, I thought I'd check out some photos on the NAS and test the DivX I made earlier. Once it starts recording, the network features are off and not available!
Message 9 of 15
jonas_strandber
Aspirant

To find out where your error is, if it is the ReadyNAS dlna server or your new BWT700GL, you could take a sample file. For instance any divx file and put this on an SD-card or USB-stick. Try to play the file from this media instead using the ports on the front of the BWT700GL. If the file is not playable then your new recorder probably do not support that specifik file format. As soon as you find a playable file, playable through SD or USB then put it up on the NAS-server. This way you have eliminated one source of error. In this case a file format your client will not support. In this example I assume that your Panasonic do have the same file support no matter the source of the file. (dlna, USB, SD, etc..)
Message 10 of 15
revel42
Aspirant

Hi

I am in exactly the same place here. I have a ReadyNAS Duo with the latest Raidaitor (4.1.7) and DLNA addons (1.0.21) installed. I also have a Panasonic DMR-BWT700.

The panasonic can see the files on the NAS but can't play them. It can only play one small mpg in my testing so far. It does play all the mp3 files and photos nicely.

I have tested the avi files on a usb stick as suggested above. In that case the files play fine. So it is the combination of the file type and the DLNA, not either singly.

I called Panasonic, they didn't seem to know much. Their response was "we always ask if you are running win 7 or twonky". When I said that I wasn't the support process ended. Which is to say they didn't know s#$#.

Any further suggestions appreciated, or if you can get through to panasonic's tier two support, any info they might have would be good.
Message 11 of 15
revel42
Aspirant

Further to the above, and in response to something I just read in another tread. File size doesn't look like it can be the problem. Even very small files less than 10 Mb (.avi) get the same 'can't play' error.
Message 12 of 15
revel42
Aspirant

I have now also tried installing Twonky Media server on the Ready NAS Duo. This did not change anything. Still the same can't play file error. 😞
Message 13 of 15
genx
Aspirant

Hi,

I've the same problem with the Panasonic SC-BTT770 Blue-Ray player, I can stream pictures and Mp3s and I can see all videos, but can't play them. If I create a Win7 Mediastream with my PC I can play nearly every format without any problem.
Twonky also wasn't working for me, same problem as with ReadyDLNA?
Is there no other solution?
What about netgear, don't they care at least a bit?
Message 14 of 15
Gandhionaharley
Aspirant

Hi All,

I have a Panasonic Viera ST30 tv and a Panasonic blue ray BDT1100.

If I use the TV to connect to my ReadyNas then it can play most video files on my server, and the blue ray can play almost none. So I think the issue must lie with device you are using to access the server. They must not have the ability to play those file types.
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements