× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo RND2000 - RAIDar not detecting device on simple network

EricTheEagle
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo RND2000 - RAIDar not detecting device on simple network

First time connecting the device into another laptop. The device is connected directly using a network cable. When running the RAIDar utility, it does not detect the device even after rescanning a few times and restarting the device. What else do I need to do to ensure that all has been setup correctly?

This setup is exactly the same as the previous setup on the other laptop and it worked fine.

Much help is needed. Thank you.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Duo RND2000 - RAIDar not detecting device on simple network

@EricTheEagle wrote:

I do not have a router. It is therefore connected directly to the laptop.

You might consider getting a gigabit router - you don't need to connect it to the internet if you don't want to.

@EricTheEagle wrote:

How do we troubleshoot or run a network diagnostics to test and eliminate the potential issues?

You'll need to know the IP address that the NAS uses - if you don't know it already, then you can find it out by connecting it to the other laptop.   

Next you will need to check that the LAN connection on the failing laptop is set to "private" (or "work" or "home").

Check the ethernet status LEDs on the back of the NAS.  If your laptop NIC is gigabit, you should see a green led (perhaps blinking).  If it is fast ethernet, you should see an amber led (perhaps blinking).

If the ethernet status looks good, then configure the PC NIC to use the same static IP address, subnet mask, and gateway that you are using on the laptop that works.

Then try pinging the NAS IP address and see if it responds.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

It still works on the original laptop?

BTW, why not connect it to the router?

Message 2 of 6
EricTheEagle
Aspirant

Yes, it still works with the other laptop. I need to transfer tens of gigabytes of data from the device to this laptop.

How do we troubleshoot or run a network diagnostics to test and eliminate the potential issues?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@EricTheEagle wrote:

You might consider getting a gigabit router - you don't need to connect it to the internet if you don't want to.

@EricTheEagle wrote:

You'll need to know the IP address that the NAS uses - if you don't know it already, then you can find it out by connecting it to the other laptop.   

Next you will need to check that the LAN connection on the failing laptop is set to "private" (or "work" or "home").

Check the ethernet status LEDs on the back of the NAS.  If your laptop NIC is gigabit, you should see a green led (perhaps blinking).  If it is fast ethernet, you should see an amber led (perhaps blinking).

If the ethernet status looks good, then configure the PC NIC to use the same static IP address, subnet mask, and gateway that you are using on the laptop that works.

Then try pinging the NAS IP address and see if it responds.

Message 4 of 6
EricTheEagle
Aspirant

I purchased a new ethernet cable and changed the basic network settings (IP, subnet, workgroup) and it worked out well.

I have not had to do any of this for almost 6 years and have almost forgotten how it all works.

Thanks for reminding me about checking the fundamentals.

By the way, it is unrelated, but wanted to know how to change RAID modes so that I can utilise both disks.

It has been setup on X-RAID with two 1TB disks mirrored, but I want to now increase the total usable capacity of the NAS to 2TB.

Will formatting of both disks required or just with one of them?

Many thanks.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@EricTheEagle wrote:

It has been setup on X-RAID with two 1TB disks mirrored, but I want to now increase the total usable capacity of the NAS to 2TB.

Will formatting of both disks required or just with one of them?

On your NAS you'll need to do a factory reset.  You then have a short window to select the RAID mode with RAIDar.  You'll need the old (4.3.8) version for this.

The safest optoin is to create 2 volumes (one for each drive).  If you create just one RAID-0 volume for both drives, then you lose everything if either disk fails.  With two volumes, you'll still have half the data intact one fails.

If you want 2 volumes, then I'd suggest doing the reset with only one drive installed - selecting flex-raid / RAID-0 via RAIDar setup. Then after the NAS is set up, hot-insert the second drive and create a new volume.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements