× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo RND2150 v2 dim blue light and fan always on

andyhogg19
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo RND2150 v2 dim blue light and fan always on

I have seen many similar questions and tried the suggested fixes. Have done a firmware reinstall, but the blue light has moved from a slow pulse, to a dim blue light and the fan is running always on. 

Prior to getting into this mess, I did note that one of the disks was dead, and it was when I did a restart that this issue arose. Can anyone propose a solution to get this back up and running so I can get a new disk?

Many thanks

Model: ReadyNAS RND2150|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

wrote:

Would appreciate some advice frome here. Can I presume the disk is the issue? Should I swap the OK disk into slot 1? Is that a test to see if the bay is the problem and not the disk? Or should I just go buy a disk from the compatibility list for this model?

It is almost certainly the disk - likely the system tried to boot from it and failed.  I'd leave disk 2 as it is, and test disk 1 in a windows PC with vendor tools (lifeguard for westen digital, seatools for seagate).

The HCL is long-neglected, so I'd ignore it.  A WDC Red or a Seagate Ironwolf are good choices for the duo.  The biggest disk your duo can use is 2 TB.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running?

I am thinking you have normal access to the shares, and the web ui.  Is that correct?

Message 2 of 10
andyhogg19
Aspirant

I hate to admit, but I dont know the firmware version. The device hasnt been available to log into, and want even being allocated an ip address so I have no access to Shares or Admin to try and see what is going on. I have searched another thread where somebody had a failed disk, and I noted the bad disk was removed and the device powered back on. Am trying that at the moment, and note it now has an ip address, there is a load of activity on the remaining disk. Am hoping (maybe incorrectly) that this will bring the system backup and I can replace the dead disk and re-sync

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

One reason to confirm the firmware - many v1 owners mistakenly believe they have a v2.  V1 systems have Sparc CPUs and run 4.1.x firmware; v2 systems have Arm CPUs and run 5.3.x firmware.  Another easy way to distinguish the two platforms:  a v2 platform will have a v2 label on the front panel.

Note the rear labels are confusing.

@andyhogg19 wrote:

Am trying that at the moment, and note it now has an ip address, there is a load of activity on the remaining disk. Am hoping ... that this will bring the system back up and I can replace the dead disk and re-sync

Please let us know! 

Message 4 of 10
andyhogg19
Aspirant

Progress...the system is back up and all data intact. 

Firmware is 4.1.16 (1.00a043)

I have removed disk 1 and let the system come back up and now have full access to data. Disk 1 status is 'Dead' presume this is because the bay is empty, although status was dead when the disk was in the bay. 

Would appreciate some advice frome here. Can I presume the disk is the issue? Should I swap the OK disk into slot 1? Is that a test to see if the bay is the problem and not the disk? Or should I just go buy a disk from the compatibility list for this model?

Would probably take the opportunity to buy a bigger capacity at this time, and then upgrade the good disk to the same once the volumes have completed a sync.

Thanks for the help.

Andy

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

wrote:

It is almost certainly the disk - likely the system tried to boot from it and failed.  I'd leave disk 2 as it is, and test disk 1 in a windows PC with vendor tools (lifeguard for westen digital, seatools for seagate).

The HCL is long-neglected, so I'd ignore it.  A WDC Red or a Seagate Ironwolf are good choices for the duo.  The biggest disk your duo can use is 2 TB.

Message 6 of 10
andyhogg19
Aspirant

Thanks for the help. Disk is dead. Replacement(s) on order. 

Message 7 of 10
andyhogg19
Aspirant

So I replaced 2 x 500Gb disks with 2 x 2TB disks and followed the instructions to add 1 disk, let in initialise and sync, and then did the second one. The system is back up and running fine, apart from one problem.

If I look at the disk space in volume settings, it would appear that the system is only seeing the 500Gb volume capacity. A few searches tell me I need to do some sort of back up and reformat for the system to use the new capacity. Is that correct? I am not sure what I would back up to? Is there a set of step by step instructions available? (thanks)

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Try rebooting, and see if that triggers the vertical expansion.

Message 9 of 10
andyhogg19
Aspirant

That did the trick! Many thanks

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements