× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo RND2210v2

johnnyartois
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo RND2210v2

Device wasn't booting up, removed discs, still not booting. Blue light flashing and fan running continually. Green lights flash twice then three times in quick succession. RAIDAR 4.3.8 locates the device but doesn't allow access to setup. Newer version of RAIDAR doesn't locate it. I hoped removal of the two discs would resolve but unfortunately not. I have a separate back up of the data so that's not a concern, looking for help to learn if the device is done for, or not.

Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Duo RND2210v2

@johnnyartois wrote:

Thanks but the link doesn't work "not found"

Sorry - I left off the .pdf at the end. It's fixed now.

View solution in original post

Message 24 of 26

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@johnnyartois wrote:

Device wasn't booting up, removed discs, still not booting. Blue light flashing and fan running continually. Green lights flash twice then three times in quick succession. 

LED blink behavior for 2 disk systems is three quick blinks of all disk LEDs and the backup LED, followed by an 1s delay, followed by a number of slow blinks.  The number of slow blinks will be the error code.

Current error codes:
1  - Vendor mismatch
2  - No disks detected
3  - Bad contents on root partition of disks
4  - Flash error
5  - Unsupported RAID configuration

So this LED status is normal when there are no disks inserted.

@johnnyartois wrote:

RAIDAR 4.3.8 locates the device but doesn't allow access to setup.

Setup can't be accessed without disks.  The OS and ReadyNAS application are stored on the disks, and the system normally boots from the disks.

@johnnyartois wrote:

looking for help to learn if the device is done for, or not.

I'd test the disks in a PC next using vendor tools (Seatools for Seagate; WD's Dashboard software for WD).  That requires either using SATA or a USB adapter/dock.

If you can't do that, then perhaps try booting the system w/o disk 1 (leaving disk 2 in slot 2).  If that still doesn't boot, then try again without disk 1.

If you haven't used the NAS in a long time, you might run into an SSL protocol error (or Cipher mismatch) when you try to access frontview.   If you need help with that, let us know. 

Message 2 of 26
johnnyartois
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen, disc 1 turns out is bad, boots with disc 2. I can see the device with the 4.3.8. but is up and down, can't access set up though. Shouldn't be any access issues as I disable the firewall. RAIDAR was problematic before the disc issue, worked well for perhaps 10 years then became unreliable for me. Perhaps I have the issue you mention in your last paragraph?

Message 3 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@johnnyartois wrote:

Perhaps I have the issue you mention in your last paragraph?

What do you see in the browser when you try to connect to frontview?

Message 4 of 26
johnnyartois
Aspirant

With the latest version of RAIDAR "cannot find any NETGEAR storage on your network". With RAIDAR 4.3.8 I can see the old version of frontview, the disc status is now green but when I click set up, I see the message attached.

Message 5 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@johnnyartois wrote:

the disc status is now green but when I click set up, I see the message attached.

That error is different from the SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH error.

Do you know what firmware your NAS is running?

Message 6 of 26
johnnyartois
Aspirant

The firmware will be the latest, which according to the Netgear site is 5.3.13 release 2017. If I connect via ethernet 5 I can see the folders and browse but I receive the earlier message when I access Set Up. I've turned off every protection option in Norton security and Windows so that nothing is blocking the connection. Since I can browse the folders there's no problem with access just set up options. 

Message 7 of 26
johnnyartois
Aspirant

Firmware is 4.1.5, please see attached, browse button works, admin doesn't

Message 8 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@johnnyartois wrote:

Firmware is 4.1.15, please see attached, browse button works, admin doesn't

The firmware will be the latest, which according to the Netgear site is 5.3.13 release 2017

One aspect is that you have the original Duo - not the v2.  The labeling is confusing, you cannot rely on the part number label on the back. You apparently have hardware revision 2 of the original Duo.

The original Duo (called a v1 here)

• says ReadyNAS Duo on the front panel
  • runs 4.1.x firmware
  • uses a Sparc CPU.

The Duo v2

• says ReadyNAS Duo v2 on the front panel
  • runs 5.3.x firmware
  • uses an Arm processor.

You apparently missed a firmware update - the final firmware for the original Duo is 4.1.16https://kb.netgear.com/000038792/RAIDiator-Version-4-1-16-Sparc

@johnnyartois wrote:

I can see the folders and browse but I receive the earlier message when I access Set Up.

Not sure exactly why you are seeing this message, but you won't be able to access Frontview (the admin web ui) with the current version of Chrome anyway, due to the SSL protocol error.

Have you tried using internet explorer?  Browsing to https://192.168.1.223/admin 

Message 9 of 26
johnnyartois
Aspirant

Yes, IE doesn't work either, please see attached. I'm at a loss, I can't understand why a direct cable connect doesn't work.

Message 10 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@johnnyartois wrote:

Yes, IE doesn't work either, please see attached. I'm at a loss, I can't understand why a direct cable connect doesn't work.

I didn't realize you were doing a direct connect.  Is there a reason you aren't connecting the NAS to your router?

Do you have wifi enabled on the PC?  If your local network uses 192.168.1.x addresses, it is possible that the PC is routing the traffic over wifi.

Can you ping the NAS using CMD?

Message 11 of 26
johnnyartois
Aspirant

I can see the NAS in windows explorer and the files I've saved down. I cannot access Set Up. I'd like to update to the latest firmware you advised but can't get in to Set Up do that. using Internet Explorer not Chrome as you advised. Turned off Wi-Fi. just used ethernet.

Message 12 of 26
johnnyartois
Aspirant

...sorry didn't answer your question about the cable connection. I was trying ethernet to see if worked as Wi-Fi wasn't. I can see front view over Wi-Fi but it keeps dropping off, that's why I tried ethernet.

Message 13 of 26
johnnyartois
Aspirant

..can ping the duo please see attached

Message 14 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@johnnyartois wrote:

...sorry didn't answer your question about the cable connection. I was trying ethernet to see if worked as Wi-Fi wasn't. I can see front view over Wi-Fi but it keeps dropping off, that's why I tried ethernet.

"Direct Connect" means that the ethernet cable is connected from the PC to the NAS (with no router in between).  That would require disconnecting the NAS from the router and connecting it to the PC instead.

Is that what you did?  I'm guessing not - that instead you simply connected the PC to your router.  But it would be helpful to know.

Do you have any data on the NAS that you don't have backed up?

Message 15 of 26
johnnyartois
Aspirant

I connected the PC direct to the NAS with the ethernet cable. I have all the data backed up separately. I'm back on the wireless connection and as before can only access through raidar 4.3.8 not later version 6.5. 

Message 16 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@johnnyartois wrote:

I connected the PC direct to the NAS with the ethernet cable. 

And you pinged the NAS with that cable connected?

Just making sure that you properly configured the PC ethernet connection (when directly connected, you need to manually set the ethernet's IP address, subnet, and gateway).

@johnnyartois wrote:

I'm back on the wireless connection and as before can only access through raidar 4.3.8 not later version 6.5. 

Well, you don't need RAIDar to connect to the admin web ui or to access the files, as you can browse directly to Frontview and connect to the shares directly in file explorer..  So that's really not a big concern right now.

Message 17 of 26
johnnyartois
Aspirant

Yes I when pinged I configured the connection correctly. I've directly cable connected previously when backing up the data. My concern is that the WiFi connection to the NAS hardly works. I can't use the latest radar. My Sonos devices can no longer find the music library on the network. I need to install another hard drive and I can't access set up. Feels like this device is no longer supported? Although I appreciate that you have tried to help.
Message 18 of 26
johnnyartois
Aspirant

.. Just established Sonos does still connect, so it's the radar/set up access I need to resolve before I buy the replacement hard drive
Message 19 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@johnnyartois wrote:
Feels like this device is no longer supported? 

Netgear stopped selling it back in 2011, and the final firmware release was in 2017.  So end-of-life for sure.

The lack of TLS 1.2 and SMB 3.0 will definitely make it harder to use over time.

@johnnyartois wrote:
My concern is that the WiFi connection to the NAS hardly works.

Since the NAS doesn't have WiFi, that implies that ethernet will misbehave also.

@johnnyartois wrote:
so it's the radar/set up access I need to resolve before I buy the replacement hard drive

One option (painful) is to do a factory default from the boot menu, and then set up the NAS from scratch.

Though if you have a spare disk, you could do the factory default with only the spare disk installed.  That would let you tell if the NAS hardware is working ok.

Message 20 of 26
johnnyartois
Aspirant

How do I do the factory reset?
Message 21 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@johnnyartois wrote:
How do I do the factory reset?

See pages 15-16 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/Duov1_NV+v1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf

This reformats the drive, and reinstalls the OS and application onto it.  The admin password after the reset is netgear1.  You'll have to create the shares again, along with any user accounts, etc.  And reinstall any add-ons.  After that, restore the data.

Message 22 of 26
johnnyartois
Aspirant

Message 23 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@johnnyartois wrote:

Sorry - I left off the .pdf at the end. It's fixed now.

Message 24 of 26
johnnyartois
Aspirant

Thanks for your help Stephen, I've restored the unit to the latest firmware. RAIDar choses when to connect and drops frequently, so I'll use a cable for a more reliable connection when required. Just need to find a replacement HDD for redundancy. Is the solution for  ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH just to use internet explorer?

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements